Can N scale Atlas trains run on a Bachmann N Scale EZ track system?

americeylon

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and hope to be a regular. I have a question. Can N scale Atlas trains run on a Bachmann N Scale EZ track system?

Thanks

If you have any locos and stock made since 1980 and Bachman is code 80, you can run anything on it. Like Wright noted: besure you don't get under 15" radius with those big modern locos and 90 ft cars. Have FUN!

I'm going to jump in and add this little personal experience story:

Be very careful when laying your track. As has been noted, you can run any equipment on any track in N scale...it's pretty much standardized. But don't do like I did and do less than an excellent job laying track.

I use Atlas flex track and I admittedly got a little sloppy while laying track on the curves the first time. While my Atlas locos negotiated those curves alright, my first Kato loco derailed in several places around the layout where I'd been somewhat sloppy. Apparently, Kato makes precision machinery and uses narrow flanges so that the track work has to be near perfect in order to negotiate all those curves successfully. My big mistake was trying to join two sections of that flex track on a curve by gluing them in place. That was then. Now I solder the two sections together before laying in the curves.

In short...when using Kato or probably any other well-made locos, be sure your track work is well done. I've re-laid most of the track on the curves much more carefully this time so that everything runs smoothly now.

On the other hand, if you just use Kato track, where it all just snaps together, you don't have to worry about all of that. But your options for building more complex layouts will be more limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run Atlas, Rivarossi, Kato and Con-Cor on my Bachmann EZ Track. I'm ready to glue the track down on my layout, so I will be testing all my running locos on it in the next week or so to make sure it's down right.

I recently bought a Bachman set with EZ track, as well as a track expansion. I can’t figure out why, but some locomotives I previously owned won’t run on the EZ track, but run on Atlas. Other trains that I have do run on the EZ track, without me changing anything but the locos. Can someone help me out here?

I recently bought a Bachman set with EZ track, as well as a track expansion. I can’t figure out why, but some locomotives I previously owned won’t run on the EZ track, but run on Atlas. Other trains that I have do run on the EZ track, without me changing anything but the locos. Can someone help me out here?
Your older locos where probably designed for code 100 track. That means higher flanges on the wheels. My lone Rivarossi GP 7 is the only engine I don't run on EZ Track due to the clicking of the pizza cutter wheels on the spike heads. My Atlas, Kato and Bachmann locos have no problems. All my rolling stock gets converted to MTL couplers and Intermountain metal wheels.

This discussion is in the N-Scale section of the forum and says N-scale in the topic line. Words like code 100 and Rivarossi sounds like several folks are talking about HO.

Regardless the answer is yes. Atlas will run on EZ-track. Atlas generally considers minimum radius to be 9 3/4". Current Bachmann EZ-track smallest curve is 11.25" radius.

This discussion is in the N-Scale section of the forum and says N-scale in the topic line. Words like code 100 and Rivarossi sounds like several folks are talking about HO.

Regardless the answer is yes. Atlas will run on EZ-track. Atlas generally considers minimum radius to be 9 3/4". Current Bachmann EZ-track smallest curve is 11.25" radius.
All my trains are N scale running on Bachmann EZ track. I apologize if what I said was misguided. The GP 7 was given to me by someone who changed hobbies. I believe it's a Atlas made by Rivarossi in the mid to late 1970's. It does have the taller wheel flange, which rode his code 100 or .100 inch rails with no problem . EZ track is code 80 track, or .080 inches in height. If my conversions are wrong, I take no offense to someone correcting them so others can learn.

Back