Can I switch shells?

Rats..... The F7A doesn't fit in with my GP and SD fleet and was wondering what other shell I could use on it. Any suggestions?

Bernie, why not run it as a business train?? I have an F-7 A-B-B-B-B-A set that I run as my executive/tourist train. Most of my fleet is GP's and SD's also. The F-7 is a classic looking engine that I think everyone should have at least one or two of on their layout.

Bernie, most major railroads have executive or business trains that they use to take shippers on tours of the railroad and executives use for line inspections. The NS is one famous example of a beautifully restored set of F units used for this purpose. So, don't toss that F unit, spiff it up and have it haul an executive train.

08012007_951_madison.jpg

CN has an executive train - not F units, it consists of a pair of E9s with Pullman cars:

7004_1204070400.png

CP has one too, using F9s. It is a little more traditional in paint scheme:

8428_1223930022.png

(More at Railpictures.net).

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie, there are some fine examples that everyone has shared with you. So don't give up on that old F unit just yet!!! :)

...As well as the Wisconsin & Southern, which runs it's E9 A-B-A set (The ONLY TRUE E9 A-B-A Set running), and the grandest business train of them all, the Union Pacific, consisting of 4-6-6-4 #3985, 4-8-4 #844, 3 rebuilt E9s, and a huge passenger car consist...most ex-UP cars themselves.

Phil

When KCS where repainting these they used one of the freshly painted KCS ES44AC on the train. So don't give up on the F units.

Back