Campbell's Curved Trestle

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
The question was spurred by the product review section. Maybe there could be a way of asking questions.

I have a curved trestle planned for my new layout. I had planned to scratch build it. I do, after all, have about 900 popsicle sticks still left from my projects so far. However, this kit keeps popping up in my consciousness. It seems like it might be a way too save some aggravation. It says it can be curved or straight. Will it do an 18" radius?

What is your experience with this kit?

I have got it but not built it, the parts are all very fine scale with none that i can see warped or otherwise deformed. Should be a very nice trestle when built.

Yes it can, you can make it from 18" rad to whatever you want it say's you get templates for all the common radiae used E.G. 18" 20" 22" 24" 26" etc etc upto 36".
curvedtrestle.jpg

the image is a bit squashed ?? but you get the picture
mine is the tall curved trestle model no 304

Hey SM,
Although it wasn't a Campbell's kit, I bashed a trestle kit into an 18" radius. It was a plastic kit, but I don't remember the name. I made my own template by drawing an 18" radius for the track centerline and then drawing cords equal to the spacing for the trestle bents. I then drew radial lines from the ends of each cord to get the the diagonal lines to cut the top stringer plate (like Steve B shows). I glued the stringer plates together first as for straight track and then used the template to cut the sections. Glue them together and then add the bents under each splice. Here's a poor pic of the finished trestle.
adm.sized.jpg

Doc

Thanks guys,

My original inspiration was the Rock Ridge layout in Model RR several years ago.

Chip, I love Mongo ridin' to town. That's exactly the kind of bad western scene I want to model.
Doc

Back