Calling out extreme postage prices…

AirbrushNo5

Put 2 17”x6” sheets of Heki Savannah Tuftgrass in my cart from Scenic Express in PA🇺🇸
Cheapest calculated postage on the SE website to Toronto 🇨🇦 ( within a days drive ) was $85 🇺🇸
Ok let’s go with 1 sheet ( this stuff weighs next to nothing) and postage was $64 🇺🇸 …..!

I compare these prices with a loco that I got from Midwest in MO 🇺🇸 recently …that was $45 🇺🇸 For a relatively heavy big box…

no thanks Scenic Express…you gotta do something about your online postal calculator if u want my business

I expect increased international postal rates, but I also expect a correlation between the size/weight of the package and price…

There is no correlation here…

Midwest in Missouri can ship a HO loco (Athearn GP-9) for $22.25 🇺🇸 to me in 🇨🇦, a larger loco for $45 🇺🇸

Either Midwest is losing $ on shipping or Scenic Express is making $ on shipping …?

Really, $85 USD as the cheapest postage on 2 packets of Heki Tuftgrass…?????
it’s a relatively small and very lightweight product…

no matter which way you cut it, it is a gross overcharge that has little to do with the USPS…

I think I wrote in the coffee shop the extreme postal charges I am sometime forced to pay, one item was $18 postage was $54,(I didn't buy it obviously), so I know how you feel, other items I've bought like decal sheets were $7 for two, and postage was only about $3 to the Uk, which is the going rate for a letter.
I have no idea who or how these rates are calculated, but c'mon, get real people.

Put 2 17”x6” sheets of Heki Savannah Tuftgrass in my cart from Scenic Express in PA🇺🇸
Cheapest calculated postage on the SE website to Toronto 🇨🇦 ( within a days drive ) was $85 🇺🇸
Ok let’s go with 1 sheet ( this stuff weighs next to nothing) and postage was $64 🇺🇸 …..!

I compare these prices with a loco that I got from Midwest in MO 🇺🇸 recently …that was $45 🇺🇸 For a relatively heavy big box…

no thanks Scenic Express…you gotta do something about your online postal calculator if u want my business
Scenic Express has been located in Colorado for a while now. But that postage is still outrageous.

When I sell online I add in the cost of shipping and generally have for years to wonderful success. I have gotten a few FB Messenger lately saying that person won’t buy what I am selling as they want to know the shipping costs. My response is why, it’s build it but you are still paying for it!

You might see if the seller will send the items at "book rate," which is quite slow, but still mostly reliable. USPS for that, if you can get it.

This problem could be because they use USPS/or other physical location pickup (so "fuel prices") ,which adds to the cost. As a rule examine all options, and look for a "rate calculator" (based on zip codes). They SHOULD have a slow and cheap option, and if they don't give 'em a pass, just as you say.

BTW, in my recent experience UPS rates are about 40% higher than Fed-Ex, and the latter are still about twice the USPS rates.

Thanks…
I tried the Hobbylinc site, unfortunately their checkout system doesn’t give me a postage price until I agree to purchase and give them my CC info…Haven’t tried Walthers yet…
I've bought from Walthers, although they are not cheap on postage, definately more acceptable.

You could also try Amain Hobbies, I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them, cheapest postage from them is about $10 to the UK, going up to $60+ depending on your method of shipping, add items to basket and follow the checkout procedure till you get to shipping, you can cancel at anytime and payment is last thing you do.

The downside with Amain is they mainly deal in RC items, but have loads of Athearn spare parts, motors, bearings, drive splines etc.
I seriously recommend you look at those guys if you need any Athearn spare parts, even if your in the US.

Last edited:
FWIW, the Scenic Express website does state that due to international shipping restrictions and regulations right now, "international destinations involving standard shipping means; US Postal, FedEx, DHL and UPS have become costly and unreliable."

My rough guess is that they are only doing overnight air shipping to Canada. When I use their 'estimate shipping' link for the same items, it comes back as $16 for ground shipping, and $85 for "International Air Shipping," even for US addresses.

FWIW, the Scenic Express website does state that due to international shipping restrictions and regulations right now, "international destinations involving standard shipping means; US Postal, FedEx, DHL and UPS have become costly and unreliable."

My rough guess is that they are only doing overnight air shipping to Canada. When I use their 'estimate shipping' link for the same items, it comes back as $16 for ground shipping, and $85 for "International Air Shipping," even for US addresses.
I've just checked on the Amains website, postage to the UK. hasn't changed

You want extreme postage, this is an item I found on fleaBay, the link takes you to the UK site.

Warning.
Please ensure stiff drink is to hand.

You want extreme postage, this is an item I found on fleaBay, the link takes you to the UK site.

Warning.
Please ensure stiff drink is to hand.
Postage:
US $5.55 (approx £4.58) Standard Delivery

That post I made was a direct copy and paste from the ad you linked.
This is where it should have taken you, is this the same one ?
20220816_231939.jpg

Back