C32-8 shell kit in HO?

crook

I once saw (on the internet) a Conrail C32-8 shell that could be put on an atlas U30C frame. Anyone have any idea who made them, and where I could find one? Has anyone on here put one together?

Rail Power Products made the C32-8 shell as their first product in a line of undecorated shell kits produced in the late 80s through the 90s until RPP was acquired by Athearn a few years ago. All the shells were designed to fit stock or modified Athearn chassis, with the C32-8 being designed for any of the Athearn GE "C" chassis. However, any Atlas chassis from the U30C to the C30-7 would work fine to power this shell.

The details are a bit crude, and if you are unfortunate enough to find one of the earliest versions of the C32-8, which was cast in black plastic (later revised shells came in white), you'll find the door outlines were raised lines on the hood instead of the whole door being raised. Windows were square openings without the rounded corners, but some attempt was made to remedy that in later years (although it wasn't that effective).

The more recent offerings from Athearn, including the SD38/40, GP35, CF7, GP60M and GP60B are all revised RPP shells. They can be made into fine models, but it takes some work. I've built numerous models from RPP shell and chassis kits, including the C39-8 (required parts from a B40-8 and a C32-8), GP60M/B, B23-7, B36-7, B30-7AB, SD60, SD45-2, and CF7.

As to the question of where you can get them, I'd try Proto Power West/A-line's web site or ebay. Caution: some of the models sell for ridiculously high prices for what you get.

Back