Buying model railroad items from Activepowersports.com

GuilfordRailman

I keep seeing this website: activepowersports.com appear in my searches for various locos and rolling stock. Has anyone ever used this site before?

Never heard of them, however there are some very legitimate looking MRR sites run by scammers, but I'll take a look later.
I can believe that! I hadn’t heard of them either but when I do a google search for N scale DCC locomotives, their site lists several of them. Thanks! Let me know what you think when you check them out.

I always check their address, map street views, and google the name to see what comes up. I’ve found quite a few bogus shops that way!

Did a quick google search and others have had very bad experiences. Probably should have just googled them beforehand haha. Guess that solves that mystery! Case closed.

Glad I didn’t! I almost ordered a locomotive I really wanted and haven’t been able to find it.
That's how they do it, find out which items are hard to find, or in short supply and advertise them at invariably way below RRP, and our brains go into "at that price" or "must have mode", and another poor man is borne.

According to Walther's website there is a retailer about 10 miles from my house in a nearby town. The address listed is a auto body shop that a HS friend owns. Unless he's buying train stuff for himself at wholesale.

According to Walther's website there is a retailer about 10 miles from my house in a nearby town. The address listed is a auto body shop that a HS friend owns. Unless he's buying train stuff for himself at wholesale.
You better go check maybe he's holding out on you and has a huge stash in the back

If only some people would put half as much energy into making an honest living....
Yeah, One of the vendor's who came to the train show last weekend got the catalytic converter, and battery ripped out of their truck in the hotel parking lot.

Done a little more digging about this Activepowersports.com, seems they are legit, kind of.

They sell item's they do not actually have stock of. (there seems to be some doubt they even have any kind of warehouse at all) and any stock levels on their website are a work of fiction.

A lot of people have ordered stuff and have had to wait far longer than reasonable for supposedly "in stock" items, most have demanded refunds and after some time (and numerous e-mails) plus in some cases having to refer the matter to the BBB, have got them.

Those that have actually received their items have complained of poor packing, broken or missing parts, or only receiving partial orders.
Others have had their orders cancelled for no apparent reason, or received partial orders as well as partial refunds with no explanation given.

It seems to me that who ever is running this company is doing it half baked, and only spending half their time doing so, I think it's reasonable to assume this is a part time business run from a home on weekends and evenings. So order from these guys and take your chances, you may get lucky.

Done a little more digging about this Activepowersports.com, seems they are legit, kind of.

They sell item's they do not actually have stock of. (there seems to be some doubt they even have any kind of warehouse at all) and any stock levels on their website are a work of fiction.

A lot of people have ordered stuff and have had to wait far longer than reasonable for supposedly "in stock" items, most have demanded refunds and after some time (and numerous e-mails) plus in some cases having to refer the matter to the BBB, have got them.

Those that have actually received their items have complained of poor packing, broken or missing parts, or only receiving partial orders.
Others have had their orders cancelled for no apparent reason, or received partial orders as well as partial refunds with no explanation given.

It seems to me that who ever is running this company is doing it half baked, and only spending half their time doing so, I think it's reasonable to assume this is a part time business run from a home on weekends and evenings. So order from these guys and take your chances, you may get lucky.
I did some research myself and read similar things. Based on what I read and what my gut is telling me, I need to do two things; 1) find another loco I like on a different site and 2) eat a sandwich.

Appreciate the thorough research!

Back