Bulk Track

lawfultoad

Does anyone have any tips on how to save a few bucks buying bulk track? I'm new to the hobby and have a 13x13 room I need to buy track for. Before I buy massive amounts of 36" ho 83 flex track I was hoping to get some advice on how I may save a buck or two. I think my LHS price was around 4.80 per.

Thanks!

Brett

Hi Brett -

You didn't mention what brand of track you are looking for. If it's Atlas, Code 83 HO Flex is available in bulk packs of 25 and 100 pieces. The price for a 100-piece box from online vendors is around $3.30 per piece, plus $15-$20 for ground shipping per 100-piece box, depending on where you live.

- Jeff

Do you have a good local hobby shop?
I'd try them as well, if you know how much you will need, most shops are willing to cut you a break if you buy in bulk at ONE TIME.
So if you need to buy 75 pieces, most shops will cut you a break on the price.

Also, you could search the net for a box of 100 pieces, and then try and sell the rest online or on the forum.

Track isn't everything. I paid nothing on track compared to the other thing on the layout. Even though you have a 13x13 room I'd start out with something more managable and build from there as you get the funds.
Good Luck

The places I buy my track in bulk(100 pcs.) only charges their regular shipping price.
Standard Hobby or Toy Train Heaven. I've never bought anything less than 100 pcs.(300ft)

Track isn't everything. I paid nothing on track compared to the other thing on the layout. Even though you have a 13x13 room I'd start out with something more managable and build from there as you get the funds.
Good Luck

I have to disagree, track was a sizable investment on my layout, due in part to the large number of turnouts I used. Granted its nothing compared to my investment in locos and rolling stock, but it definitely was not negligible.

Joe Fugate as said in an interesting article that benchwork is cheap, what goes on the layout (track, rolling stock, structures) is the most expensive.

As for buying in bulk, I bought Atlas code 83 in a box of 25 pieces from http://www.modeltrainstuff.com at a reasonable price.

You hit the nail on the head. It's not track, but switches, that really add up the cost of laying track. That's why Atlas track plans always have huge numbers of tracks with no apparent reason, just so you have to be another switch. A double crossover or a couple of wye tracks is an added bonus for the designer. I really cringe when I see new modlers wiotha 4x8 layout plan that has 10 or 12 switches. One of the things real railroads do is try to avoid switches off the main line except for ones leading to sidings, yards, or the occasional industrial spur. Most track plans I've seen would do well to eliminate about half the switches.

Back