Building the Santa Fe in the back yard

Steve B

Firefighter
I am posting this to show you the progress of my friend John Rockey's garden railroad in Glen Ellyn Illinois. John is a big Santa Fe fan and has started to build his garden empire in G scale. The work was started last year but ground to a halt when winter took hold and froze the ground, this year John and his wife Lorrie and there friends built the retaining wall which was back filled with tons and ton's of earth 60 cubic yards in total, the pond and stream were installed followed by 17 ton's of rocks to complete the scene,

This is the track plan
173053823.gif

This is the team installing the pond liner
173047092.gif

This is the stream being installed
173047082.gif

this is the conduit for the water and future electrics
173047125.gif

This is a high level shot taken by John, can you see his shadow at the top of the tower:eek:
173055739.gif

This is how things look now, ready for the Santa Fe track gang i recon
173047141.gif

You can see more shots of the work in progress on John's web site @
http://www.railroad-crossing.com/index.html

I think i can say that this is going to be one awsome awsome garden railroad,:D :) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Steve, I moved this here to the G scale forum. While it was certainly fine where you originally posted it, I wanted it to be on the front page for a long while for anyone interested in garden railroading.

Please keep us posted as John's construction continues. :cool:

WOW, Steve! That looks like it will be so much fun it makes me hurt. (Let's see now, if I can get my neighbor interested in MR then maybe with the two lots together we could.........):D

RexHea said:
(Let's see now, if I can get my neighbor interested in MR then maybe with the two lots together we could.........):D

...interchange cars with a "neighboring" railroad! :D

Just to keep you up to date, John's started to lay the track, he say's it was easy laying HO scale track on cork than laying G scale in the garden

Yep. I learned early on that knee pads are a must for garden railroaders. ;) That's going to be a super layout!

UPDATE: Oct 18th 06

Here are some more pictures of john's progress so far, it's looking awesome. The tunnel portal is just a temporary one

10-15-06-2.jpg

10-15-06-1.jpg

10-15-06.jpg

Back