Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Hello Jim, I had forgotten that we had talked in the past. I hope all is well with you for this holiday season.

I am the Brian who posted a subject thread about water,.....
https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/water-water-everywhere.34160/

I understand you have done a number of scenes with water. Anything you care to add to that other discussion, or reference links to your work would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Brian
Brian, you're missing out if you don't read through Jim's thread here. Of course, it's got about 5 gazillion layouts he's done over the past decade. It took me over two months to get all the way through this thread.

The easiest way to find relevant posts in this MEGA thread is with the search tool. You can add Jim's HOExplorer handle to the second search field and you'll find a plethora of posts with your search term

Great day. Two posts were made here on an earlier section of this thread.
Good to see you're still keeping tabs Jim and kicking. Just keep on keeping away from buckets. Bit of sad news on my favorite US RR'd, Montana Rail Link (MRL). They have decided to opt out of their lease of BNSF's (EX NP/ BN) mainline through Montana and will cease operations once approvals are granted. BNSF will then take over.

I'm in the middle of building a coal mine at a small mountain and did it the usual way with cardboard frame and drywall plastic screen over that to hold the drywall mud. The mud took a long time to dry like two days and that's in A/C. Just started the painting a couple days ago. I do need some ideas as to what a coal mine looks like at the head of the mine. No coal mines in Florida to look at. The last pic is the whole layout. It'sabout twenty feet long with a 4 x 4 turnaround at each end.

Attachments

• 100_0001 (37).JPG
    100_0001 (37).JPG
    519.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0016.JPG
    101_0016.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 101_0018.JPG
    101_0018.JPG
    687.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 101_0020.JPG
    101_0020.JPG
    715.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 101_0022.JPG
    101_0022.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0009 (2).JPG
    DSCF0009 (2).JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 91
I'm in the middle of building a coal mine at a small mountain and did it the usual way with cardboard frame and drywall plastic screen over that to hold the drywall mud. The mud took a long time to dry like two days and that's in A/C. Just started the painting a couple days ago. I do need some ideas as to what a coal mine looks like at the head of the mine. No coal mines in Florida to look at. The last pic is the whole layout. It'sabout twenty feet long with a 4 x 4 turnaround at each end.
Here is at least one. Mining entrances looked generally like tunnel entrances. Mine entrances would be smaller for the cars.

Attachments

• busy day.jpg
    busy day.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • Lower mine again.jpg
    Lower mine again.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Here is at least one. Mining entrances looked generally like tunnel entrances. Mine entrances would be smaller for the cars.
Nice pictures HOexplorer and the scenes are super good looking. What is the building with the pully and wire leading to the backside of the water tank? My mine is dated a bit later and there is no rail service to the opening like yours. My coal has to come out of the mine, be crushed to a manageable size and dropped by gravity to a building below that can distribute the coal to rail cars or trucks. I'll build the buildings my self from scratch but I'd like to know what some of those building looked like. There could be some N scale track to bring the coal out of the mine to the crusher in little hopper cars too. I like your trestle for doing that. maybe I could do something like that.

Nice pictures HOexplorer and the scenes are super good looking. What is the building with the pully and wire leading to the backside of the water tank? My mine is dated a bit later and there is no rail service to the opening like yours. My coal has to come out of the mine, be crushed to a manageable size and dropped by gravity to a building below that can distribute the coal to rail cars or trucks. I'll build the buildings my self from scratch but I'd like to know what some of those building looked like. There could be some N scale track to bring the coal out of the mine to the crusher in little hopper cars too. I like your trestle for doing that. maybe I could do something like that.
Hi, I forgot about that item. You called it a pully and it is exactly that. It lift object from the mine tunnels or downloads supplies.

Two things; What is that sticking up just to the left of the mine opening? Also would you please move the outhouse to a place downhill from the water tank? There, that's better. Ha!
Old tree stump? Excellent point about the outhouse. I was so proud of it I planted it where it could be seen. I will move it next time.

Last edited:

Back