Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Men at work.
2019-12-05 09-25-59 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) (3).jpg

Absolutely wonderful! That scene is so active and alive.

Reading through you're work has inspired me to give it a go, while I'm waiting for my layout room to be renovated. My plan is to build a very small photo diorama to start, applying the techniques you've taught me throughout this thread. You teach extremely well.

Absolutely wonderful! That scene is so active and alive.

Reading through you're work has inspired me to give it a go, while I'm waiting for my layout room to be renovated. My plan is to build a very small photo diorama to start, applying the techniques you've taught me throughout this thread. You teach extremely well.

McLeod, If you don't find the answers, please ask away.

WOW - did not see that until I expanded the photo!
I can see why it fell off the track too? Some of those pilings under the bridge cross members look sort of flimsy too!
:eek::D

Some of them look flimsy, there’s some gaps on the piles and caps, some of the stringers have a big gap, and some of the ties are “floating”.
You know what? I’ve worked on real bridges with every one of those problems. I pulled a pile cap off one bridge after the bridge inspector condemned it. We dropped it about 5 feet onto the ground from the lift we were using. It cracked in half, the inside was all rotted out and an annoyed swarm of hornets were buzzing all around, wondering why we were messing with their nest...
But here’s the deal. The details are right. The design is right. The look is intended. It’s like Disney, they exaggerate stuff so it’s noticeable. Not everyone knows bridges and even if they do subtle scale details would get missed. The look here is “you sure that’s gonna hold a train?” It’s exactly the right effect.

Do some of these photos seem to be color goofed up? Or, is it just me?
That question can be quite difficult to answer, as you are seeing the actual scene in comparison, and we have only the photo on our individual screens.
I'm seeing the figure in center, sitting beside the fella in the red hat, as having blue/grey shoes. Front most figure is wearing green shirt and gloves, yellow hat, and a fine pair of blue Levis. All the wood is a medium colored wood leaning toward yellow/green, and the rust looks like rust.

It is a very fine photo of a wonderful scene, as is always the case of your work. It's just missing Rover; there's always a dog at lumber camps.

Hope I've helped you, as much as you have helped me!

Thanks Sherrel and all you 'likers.' I have a question: Do some of these photos seem to be color goofed up? Or, is it just me?

Like Schultz was fond of saying, "I see nothing" amiss - coloring or otherwise!

I am impressed by the realism of the logs on the right - among with everything else.
I see what GUY is talking about on the shoes, but I just thought that was due to dust/dirt/or mud?
Probably needs a cat napping somewhere, or a skunk to spray the dog?
Pulling your leg, JIM!

Last edited:

Back