Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

RR, In theory it is O gauge. The engines and rolling stock is a bit smaller than O stuff. Houses and buildings are the same size so they take some getting used to. Once you do you find the reason mining and logging are the main modeling choices. Fun scale especially for aging modelers!

Some first ground covers. As mentioned before too many modelers stop at this point in the photo and move on with other parts of their layouts. Not me, I don't stop at one or two layers of ground covers. We'll look at this scene again after more treatments.

DSC00137.JPG

Looks good Jim, can you explain to us dummy's the products you used and how they were applied ?
Thanks T.C.
T.C. So you admit not going through the 237 pages! No problem. I should have said something 'product' at the beginning of this layout. My philosophy regarding scenic product is VERY simple. 90% of what I use is Woodland Scenics products. My reasoning is cheap, easy to obtain, easy to use, and easy to make some very realistic scenery. WS has everything at a fair price and the average modeler can really make their scenery stand out. As I've said many times I don't know diddly about trains. I know red wires and black wires and that's it for DC electrics. My main focus is: trains are not the main event on my layouts, only props. Scenery is the thing for me. Scenery is not for everyone. They can do, but those train order cards just seem to get in the way.
The other 10% is tree making material, Sculptamold for rocks and very few products from Scenic Express. And no, I do not work for any of the above mentioned companies.

Believe it or not Jim I have been here for every page you have posted, I'm just getting old and I forget things.
I'm such a fan of yours I entered and won one of your contest, cant remember witch one or exactly when though....lol
Keep up the good work !
T.C.

Believe it or not Jim I have been here for every page you have posted, I'm just getting old and I forget things.
I'm such a fan of yours I entered and won one of your contest, cant remember witch one or exactly when though....lol
Keep up the good work !
T.C.

JIM ... I'm just happy to see you back at work on a layout! T.C. has a point, actually several?
First: We are all getting older and forgetful.
Second: You have built several layouts and modules.
Third: You have tried using different materials and methods of construction, or a combination of all.
You are such a "Master" at this - it is easy for us to get lost?

Easiest way to make rocks. Sculptamold. Mix with water to whatever thickness you want and apply. Add textures after a few minutes and there you are. Since I'm modeling limestone it doesn't matter what the rock looks like. Easy. Add coloring when it is dry or after about 15 minutes.
DSC00142.JPG

I think of all the scenery you have done Jim, and it's a hard pick, the one that seems to appeal the most for it's simplicity is the one of the siding on the grade with the long grass and weeds, protruding through the ties. It's just a standout.

Back