Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Definitely gives it that "era look" though, Jim. Hand laying of track has always appealed to me from an economic standpoint, but at normally only 1 pair of spikes per 5 ties, sort'a detracted from the realism.

Toot, Yep, something amiss concerning hand laid track fellows. Cheers to them on their dedication, but I'm too driven towards finishing my work in a timely manner. I just got off another site and two of the biggest complainers were hand layers wondering why their progress was so slow. Something for all of us in this great hobby! Jim :rolleyes:

Well thanks fellows. Not sure about a masterpiece but I try. Here is the finished photo and the last you all will see of the turntable for awhile. Back to work on the actual layout now. Jim:)

IMG_6006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thanks fellows. Not sure about a masterpiece but I try. Here is the finished photo and the last you all will see of the turntable for awhile. Back to work on the actual layout now. Jim:)

turntablebridgefinished_zps7e9ffeb6.jpg

I had faith in you Jim and as usual , if we wait till it is finished, it is always a masterpiece.
Mike

Jim, beautiful turntable, will fit in quite well. Is this the new 2-8-0 ? The engine fits perfectly with that style turntable. - Chris

Thanks Mike and Chris.

Chris, No that is not the new loco for which this layout is being designed. It is my 4-4-0 from the original PCM&T Co. layout. This layout will not really be featuring geared steam this time around either. I have an SW-1 for early diesel, and this 4-4-0, and the new 2-8-0 all DCC. Jim:)

Jim, thanks for the clarification on the engine, being in the shadow it was had to tell. I do really like that early Baldwin type engine. Those seem to fit one's time period from the late 1880s up to the early 1940s on those small run down depression era rail lines. - Chris

Back to the layout now. Some of you may remember the little hillside I made so water would run down hill into the stream bed. Here's a peek at the finished hillside.

IMG_5907.JPG

Next up is some work on the other end of the layout where the wooden tunnel portals went. Rocks (sculptamold0 are just put on. You can see a two lane road tunnel under construction. Jim:)

IMG_5972.JPG

The previous photos were taken Wednesday. Yesterday I worked on the above scene and came up with this one:

IMG_5942.JPG

You can now see additional plaster cloth and a 'concrete' two lane tunnel portal. The log bridge abutment is finished. I get tired of seeing the same abutments and piers on every layout I thought I would make my own. Also I've been scenicing the area around the rocks. The new rocks on the left have a bit more red in them as this will blend in with the rocks on the other side of the canyon. Jim :)

Unreal work jim. Love the hillside, I cant remember how you make your trees, are they all homemade or super trees/store bought... I love your work by the way.
Any reason you prefer ws foam rb over the cork?? Just personal preference?

I know ive asked you before if you ever modeled modern day and i remember what your answer was but i would love to see what your skills would bring to a modern day layout

joed, Thanks for sure. The trees explanation begins with post 23 on Page 4 I believe. Start there an your 'fir' tree questions will be answers in subsequent pages.

I purchased the foam roadbed because it was all my LHS had at the time. My little yard has a piece of Z scale cork double track roadbed. This is a good size because yard tracks are lower because of the speeds of the locos. So I would never use foam or cork full size roadbed for my yards. I have no complaints with either cork or foam.

I had a GP-9 in Z scale once but it was pulling all my older rolling stock. That is as close as I ever got to 'modern.' WHY? I thought I explained that here once? Here is a short reason: As a kindergartner back in 1951 I lived a block from the canyon that overlooked the mainline tracks feeding Spokane from the South. Every summer day I would go to the edge and wait for the steamers to go by. After a while the loco crews knew I was there and always waved. These were the best of days and times for a 6 year old. One day a new sight and sound made its way toward me. Gone was the steam//smoke/chuffs/and friendly waves to a 6 year old. In its place was a low rumble without a person to wave at or wave to me. This was the worst of days and times for a 6 year old. I've never railfanned since and until I discover modeling 10 years ago was never too keen on trains. So today, I only model the 'best of days and times,' the steam era. Jim:)

I went down (down because it's south of my place) to the Gold Coast MR club today (buy&sell) to see if I could sell a few bits. Anyway, had a look at there large layout which is still under construction (scenery) but 1 section took my eye, so took a few pics (17). Here's a couple from the On3 layout to whet your appetite. (apologies for a bit of fuzziness when my hand was unsteady and it being the 2mp camera in my very old cell phone)
GCMRClubandclouds022_zpsad03b3d9.png

GCMRClubandclouds026_zpsc9e21bfd.png

GCMRClubandclouds023_zpsc7a80d61.png

Toot, Thanks for the photos. 2mp? Even at our age I'm recommending it is time to move on/up to the Third Millenium!

Great layout. I've always admired the work of modelers from Down Under. Where can I get that car and truck? Jim:)

Gives me a headache just thinking about it. However, having been South of the Equator for years while sailing and living in NZ and Oz I really don't remember headaches! Jim :eek:

And if I thought that the undermining of the railroad by the quarry on my old club's layout was bad, how about this for a bit of whimsy
GCMRClubandclouds030_zps0d26c584.png

At least they can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Toot, I think they need to use the logs to prop up the rock! Unfortunately we do see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Later today or tomorrow the long promised Tunnel discussion. Jim:)

Back