Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Thanks waltr.

Next up is covering the black 'wood' or metal on the flat car. I used a mixture of umber and sienna to cover the black. The reasoning here is because the next step, painting on a 'pine' color is more realistic when painted over a color other than black. Yellows don't cover black well.

IMG_3852.JPG

After drying all night I just mixed a 'pine' color paint using, cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, white and a touch of raw umber. I used the pine legs of my benchwork as my color guide. I use a fairly stiff brush for these two paint jobs. I don't want to completely fill in the floor. I want some streaking to show.

IMG_3853.JPG

The paint is still wet here. The secret to a well used and worn floor is getting rid of the black and two coats of paint and don't fill it in like you are painting a wall in your house. Final touch ups will be with weathering powders. Most of this floor will be covered with a tank, boiler, and wood stacks anyway. I think it will turn out ok. Jim:)

HINT: When painting flatcars or any such flat surface paint with your brush from the middle of the floor to the sides. This way you will not have paint running down over the edges of your flat surface onto something you may not want to paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did read you correctly. You stated "while doing my railroad redo". Are remaking the one you just finished? Or am I too future dated.? Lee

Lee, Lee, You just got caught!:eek: I mentioned over a month ago I was going to redo the left side of the layout. I posted photos and plans. You better go back and catch up on your reading. I have a layout open house this coming weekend and begin next Monday. Jim:)

I must have misread or misunderstood your pictures and what you said. Hope your open house goes great. Love to be there, but you know how it is on a fixed income, those $500-700 plane tickets don't just materialize themselves. Have a good one Lee

It'll be interesting to see what you use for a mechanism. I'm considering a similar build but I intend to make it a T-boiler class A. My understanding is that up to 28 tons, the early class A's had wooden frames. The T-boiler will allow me to mount the motor horizontal and disguise the gearbox as the 2 cylinder engine. Not sure yet what I'll use for the trucks. I thought of useing a Bachman 44 ton for the trucks. That way, there's no need for a motor to hide in the structure. I have to search through all my old junk and see what I have. No sense spending any hard cash if I already have something I can use.

Steve

Steve, You should know me well enough by now to know I know nothing about electrics, motors, and stuff like that. This will be a static model for photos. My other Climax is motorable, but I'm clueless and poor. Many folks are using that mechanism that has the motor in the wheel set. Do you know about it? Jim:)

Jim
PFM used to have a small power unit that was all contained in a single truck. If I remember correctly, there were even different wheel diameters and wheelbase's available. I'm not sure what is available anymore. I'll do a little searching and see what I can find.

Steve

3 ft in Washington.

Gotta love those logging railroads Steve. 3foot would be very unusual here in the N.W. but run what ya brung! As far as being dissapointed with your results, I think most of us grow as we go. Don't be afraid of a few mistakes. You can always start again. If you do a good job on the trackwork it's not too hard to change the scenery. It's also fun to see your improvement as you go.

Steve

To quote a favorite doctor, "Damn it Jim, I'm a Modeler, not a Historian"
But, you got me thinking and there were two three-footers in Washington State, the shortlived Seattle/Walla Walla line, and the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company that ran from Illwaco to Osterville. The line had no connection to any outside rail line. The railroad had a number of nicknames, including the "Clamshell Railroad" and the "Irregular, Rambling and Never-Get-There Railroad" It lasted till 1930. But, probably did not log much, just fish and tourists.
Oh well, the track plan is Malcom Furrow's San Juan, and I already have two locomotives lettered for Rio Grande & Western. Easy enough to build more rocks and less trees!

(Jim, not trying to jack your thread, waiting patiently for the upgrade!)

SAJ :)

Thanks Gary. SAJ, no worries. I might add here for all that I'm not a fan of narrow guage model railroading. Of course I don't mind anyone doing it. It just isn't for me. So obviously the PCM&T is standard guage. Another reason I located it in the Alaskan Panhandle. Few would know the diff I'm thinking.

Why don't I like narrow guage? Fair question. I like to think I'm fairly artistic and have an 'eye' for perspective and such. To me something just bothers me looking at those squatty K29's rolling by regular size HO buildings. Actually it really bugs me. That's really all there is reason wise.

I will say I've never seen these locos and rolling stock in there natural environment. Maybe if someone buys me a trip to Durango then I could see for myself and have a better opinion. Oh, by the way, my 2012 calendar in my trainroom is "Colorado Narrow Guage." Go figure! Jim:)

Why don't I like narrow guage? Fair question. I like to think I'm fairly artistic and have an 'eye' for perspective and such. To me something just bothers me looking at those squatty K29's rolling by regular size HO buildings. Actually it really bugs me. That's really all there is reason wise.

That's a good a reason as any and is the reason I like narrow gauge and Vanilla ice cream. Different flavors for different people.

There is an old movie about the Denver and Rio Grand:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044537/

There are some great scenes of the narrow gauge trains running. Its old but worth watching.

waltr, Correct. Like I've said all along. What a great hobby this is where we can always be right, or, wrong.:eek: Jim:)

Here's another look at the Class A Climax. I added the water tank and some piping. Jim:)

IMG_3874.JPG

Okay! The open house was a great success. Thirty or more people dropped by and saw the layout. Most of them really seemed to like it. Let me catch my breath and I will begin posting here Sunday night or Monday at the latest. Cheers, Jim:)

Glad you had such a good crowd. Sure would like to be able to see it. Eric at MTL told me last spring if I ever get a chance to get out there he waould give my wife and I a personl tour of the plant. Lee

Hi Jim,

I enjoyed visiting your layout today - nice work! How do you light these photos as they look very natural and colorful? Is this from the skylight?

Duncan

Duncan, Glad to have met you today. Thanks for stopping by.
There is a section in this thread on all the photography techniques I use. Specifically to your question most photos are with the skylight and light from my desk lamp with swivels.

Sometimes I shine the desk lamp on the floor, bounce it off the mirrored closet doors, even out the window. I don't not use the flourescents lights. Of course, I always use a tripod and the timer. Jim:)

Back on track: The rebuild. First thing I have to do is take off the trees and save most of the larger bushes. Below is a photo of the first step in reconstructing this left side of the PCM&T Co. Layout.

I felt really weird doing this to the layout after I'd finished?? Oh well; progress. Jim :)

IMG_3876.JPG

Back on track: The rebuild. First thing I have to do is take off the trees and save most of the larger bushes. Below is a photo of the first step in reconstructing this left side of the PCM&T Co. Layout.

I felt really weird doing this to the layout after I'd finished?? Oh well; progress. Jim :)

IMG_3876.jpg

Looks like you may have had a mud slide on the bottom left with the shed/house on the track :D

Back