Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Thanks Jim. In the photo below you can see the right side of the layout. There is quite a bit of rock work on this 90 sq. ft. layout so I decided on this new way to make rocks. Before it was molds. Too many to make for this layout. Bigger and better molds are not allowed by the CFO!

Pictured is the only use of Woodland Scenics Risers on this layout. I had them left over from other work and decided they would fit right in.

You can see the three levels in this photo as well. If you have any questions please ask. Jim:)

IMG_1149.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work on the bridge. I drive over them all the time. I love seeing a loaded log truck drive over them. Great work. This is an inspiring layout.

@HOExplorer--where do you live I want to take a walk over and see this layout!!:D Just kidding, It looks great and likin the photo updates..keep them coming.

Great layout Jim , and great ideas on scenery there as well.
Thanks for posting the progress.
Mike

Oxfordlawn, Where do I live? Simple from FL. Take I10 3000 miles West. Turn left at the Pacific Ocean and drive I5 to San Diego. Sinchy.:) Keep looking at the layout and keep asking questions. Jim

Devin, My last layout (N scale) had a flat car bridge and the ubiquitous log bridge. Here's a photo for you. Thanks, Jim

IMG_959612.jpg

Mike, Thank you for the compliments. Please check in from time to time. Glad you added HO to your fine company. Jim

Been busy working on the layout. Here is a photo of the top level left side of the layout nearly finished and work going on on the middle level. Jim

IMG_1418.jpg

Patrick, You're forgiven! Actually I started this layout in October I think. However, I do build my layouts quite fast. I make virtually everything. I build my own buildings except for a small mine kit this time. I make my own trees while something is drying. I use Super Trees for bushes, not for trees on this layout. My layouts have been published five times. So, my secret? Well, I'm 67 and don't work. What else do I have to do? I generally put in 4-6 hours a day building. If you work, raise a family, then you certainly couldn't keep up with me. So, no worries. Do your best.

I'm having an NMRA viewing of the layout in April. I will be the only layout shown. Best part of my modeling is that they call me. I'm not a member! I have to be finished by then. Jim

Jim, Thanks for compiment.

Patrick, You will find time to work on the layout don't worry.

Here is a kit bashed caboose I just finished.kitbashes33.jpg

Jim, Thanks for compiment.

Patrick, You will find time to work on the layout don't worry.

Also, It is not all just track laying and scenery on the PCM&T. As I build most things scratch I'm not about to let a kitbash chance go by. I just finished this little guy 10 minutes ago. Jim

IMG_3104.jpg

ok im gonna go on a limb here and ask....what the heck is that supposed to be? a .5 of a caboose that turned shunter or something?

Friends thanks. On some logging and mining railroads the shop guys would take an old caboose and shorten it if the railroad didn't need a full sized caboose. My layout is mining this time so I thought I would try making one.

In real life they were rare on anything but a private railroad. They were handy transporting loggers and miners on the cold and windy days as well. But normally they were the domain of the foreman.

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...kw=&_osacat=19128&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

They aren't as rare as you may believe. Obviously I don't have the proper truck. Oh well. Jim

This photo shows the right side of the layout. Near the left side you see three bridges on Pinnacle Peak. The pinnacle is there too. You can see the three levels and all the rock work. I plant the Caspia trees as I make them. Usually three at a time. In the newly plaster clothed area in the forground will be a couple of bridges and the mining camp. In the right front you can barely make out the tunnel entrance.In the upper right you can see a loco at the upper mine. Also the wiring for DCC. 16 gauge drops to a 12 gauge buss wire. Jim

IMG_1419.jpg

Really looking good. I have decided to start making some trees while I plan my layout. Your trees look great. I may go a bit more red on the bark, as I am modeling redwood, but your trees are great. I love the rock work as well. Really well done. I love the rapid progress as well.

Back