Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

A string stretched taut from one end of the bridge to the other would be a good way to keep things level and even.

Actually not. You couldn't put enough tension on the string to keep it from sagging a noticeable amount at the middle. This bridge is over 6' long. Try it yourself with string and see how much it sags vs. how much tension you have to apply. In HO scale, it will be about 6" or so.
I will have to build a template to follow so the hand rail is the exact same height the entire walkway as well as ensuring the walkway is level the entire length of the bridge. The upper walkway is suspended from the bottom of the top deck and varies in length according where it's attached. The upper walkway will have to be installed with the bridge laying upside down. The bottom one will have to be installed with the bridge upright. I'll figure it out.

The remaining open web trusses arrived this past Friday. I had some time tonight to build a few of the cross trusses that are needed for the bottom side of the bridge. With good weather arriving I will be slowing down on this project.

Greg - No, I have no idea. It's a hobby. I work on it when I feel in the mood.
I can tell ya how many hours I have on my day job though.

Well Ken I guess it's time for me to stop lurking and add my voice to the chorus of compliments. That is truly an outstanding piece of work! And kudos to Sherrell for his part in providing the top wooden beams.

I'm interested in seeing how you attach your handrails to the walkways. I have to redo all the ones on my blast furnace and ore bridge, because I used a solvent-based cement [PlasticWeld] and after a few years, it gradually distorted the plastic at the bottoms of the stanchions so now they all lean inward :(.

Well Ken I guess it's time for me to stop lurking and add my voice to the chorus of compliments. That is truly an outstanding piece of work! And kudos to Sherrell for his part in providing the top wooden beams.

I'm interested in seeing how you attach your handrails to the walkways. I have to redo all the ones on my blast furnace and ore bridge, because I used a solvent-based cement [PlasticWeld] and after a few years, it gradually distorted the plastic at the bottoms of the stanchions so now they all lean inward :(.

Was the plastic exposed to Ultra Violet light?

I used up the last order of open web trusses. I have just two and a half more sections to go, then I'll start the work on the walkways.

Last edited:
Beautiful work Ken. Excellent craftsmanship. I am really waiting to see some trains rolling over it.

It's been a while since i worked on my Canyon Diablo Bridge, but i have decided to put the cross bracing under the deck. I'm at work in Belen Nm and didn't want to go out, so i stayed in my room and built all of them. I also cut 72 gussets for the cross brace legs, and need to cut 72 more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
Well documented on my layout!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its great to see you back on the bridge project.

I have one suggestions. I would see if you have more reference photos of the cross beam to see a better view of the gusset. From the looks of the one in the photo it isn't a rectangle but more of a diamond shape.

Dave

Ron,

Do you have any other photos of the upper walkway? I need more detail on how it is suspended from the underside of the bridge.

Funny you ask that. I was thinking of you when i saw this photo and wondered if i should post it. I'm not sure why they posted here sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 199
Oops! Here it is. Will this pic do?

I have to rebuild the ends of my bridge! The main arch beams are thicker than the main beams on the half arches on the ends. Oh well! It was going to have to be taken apart anyway, i didn't have the proper dimensions from the top deck to the bottom of the main beams (where it attaches to the abutments) Mine are too tall. It's only around 13' and mine was around 20'

Ken, if you need anymore pics i took a hundred or so, so i probably have what you need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 221
OK, it looks like the walkway just butts up to the huge cross I-beam then there is a ladder to get over it into the next section.
Along the base of the walkway platform, there seems to be an edge piece. I'm thinking it's an angle iron piece. You mentioned before that the hand rails are 3". I would think that edge piece is about 4". It also looks like only the center vertical handrail support is attached near the ceiling. Maybe to a cross piece. Do you have any better pictures of that junction?

Back