Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

I have a pack of those sticks. I think I would prefer to go with one piece for the whole width.
Sherrel,
Would the pine tend to warp if subjected to water (when ballasting) or daily sunlight? This bridge will be in direct sunlight for several hours a day as it will be just a foot from a south facing window.

Hmmm .. I'm not 100% sure on that, but if dry, it should not. Personally .. I would choose redwood.
1. What kind of thickness are we talking about?
2. How long for each piece (thinking about mailing)

What size material is the real bridge deck that the track and ballast sit on and do they run x-ways or parallel?
If they are x-ways - is it 39 foot long boards?

Hmmm .. I'm not 100% sure on that, but if dry, it should not. Personally .. I would choose redwood.
1. What kind of thickness are we talking about?
2. How long for each piece (thinking about mailing)

What size material is the real bridge deck that the track and ballast sit on and do they run x-ways or parallel?
If they are x-ways - is it 39 foot long boards?

Ral says the beams are the same size as the railroad ties but 39' long.

OK .. trying to PM you, but your box is full!

Ken .. do you want me to make you the decking?
You have not said.
Also, How many liner feet total and the length of each piece for mailing?

Leaving town for N.C. early Tuesday = be gone until Sun night.
Only have today and tomorrow to get it done and mail on Monday- unless it can wait till I get back

Sherrel Weems
951-428-0322

sirfoldalots@gmail.com

OK .. trying to PM you, but your box is full!

Ken .. do you want me to make you the decking?
You have not said.
Also, How many liner feet total and the length of each piece for mailing?

Leaving town for N.C. early Tuesday = be gone until Sun night.
Only have today and tomorrow to get it done and mail on Monday- unless it can wait till I get back

Sherrel Weems
951-428-0322

sirfoldalots@gmail.com

I just saw the message about my mail box. I cleared it out.
I'll PM you.

2869ral, You have provided a wonderful study of this bridge. I would love to build a model of it; but, have no need for it on my layout.

I made another change to the appearance of the cross bracing.
To keep the cost of material under control, I had originally decided to go with the single layer of the lattice beams that are across the entire bottom of the bridge. Plastruct doesn't make the double layer as you can see in the prototype. This had been bugging me for a while until this weekend when I took a couple sections of the lattice beams and shaved down one edge then joined them together. I liked how they looked. I'll make the rest of those lattice beams the double layer.
In the first picture (provided by 2869ral), you can see the double lattice beams.
In the second picture you can see the single layer lattice beam in the forground. The next two further up the bridge are double layers. Only one half of the cross lattice is in place. I ran out of the 1/2" lattice beam material but a couple dozen packs should be on my doorstep tomorrow. As a result of doubling them up, the quantity of the lattice beams has doubled for this project.

0227172036.jpg

0227172055.jpg

Last edited:
It surly does make a yoouge difference in the appearance with the double bracing. I had sort of "winched" at the fact that you were using the single lattice, but I understand that it was what was available. Very astute of you to double up on it that way. It looks sooo much better!

Are you planning to go back and "repair" the single lattice ones?

Yes, I had already installed all three beams as the single lattice when I decided to see how one would look doubled up. It's just a matter of tearing out the square tie plate that holds them to the side beams of the bridge. Those are .020" sheet plastic cut into 3/4" squares.
It takes a while to take down the lattice beam on one side so they lay flush against each other.
Just those beams alone, doubled up cost over $200 in material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught some of the posts and photos over the weekend on my phone but had to see the larger photo. This is one incredible build yo have here. Love the detail and will have to commend you on your patience. Ray sure posted some excellent photos.

Nice work.

As Plastruct doesn't make the double row lattice beam, I have to build them myself from single layer lattice beams that they sell.
It takes a while to prepare each beam. You can the before and after of the beam in the first picture. Using a razor, I shave off some of the beam on one side of the lattice and then use a file to take it the rest of the way down to the cross lattice. I do this on both beams then lay them together so the lattice creates a cross pattern then apply the Bondene mixture and hold it in place for about 20 seconds.

0227172055.jpg

This produces a double layer lattice beam. Now I just have to cut off the pieces that I need.

0226171905.jpg

Last edited:
Job only had boils and a nagging wife to contend with, you have double crossed lattice beams. (sort'a makes you wonder who got double crossed, and you do it for fun) From now on thou shalt be Saint Ken.

Well done, and I'm glad to see you made the choice to go with the double and not single beams. I'm sure many would not ever see it but we all know it is there and love what we see. The cost is something you can just not think about because this is a hobby of love. We don't just based on what it cost but how much joy we get from it. Some would never dream of this and others would never think of doing less.

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see this done (not that I am not enjoying the progress work).

Dave

I finished installing the cross braces across the bridge and started on the Open Web Double Truss beams.
The video below gives a better overall view of the bridge so far instead of a still.

Last edited:

Back