Building one more layout

Mauryd

Just turned 87. Have been involved with model rr for about 60 years. Have built 4 ho layouts and 3 G scale operations. Enjoy the hobby because it combines a study of history, an involvement with things mechanical, a chance to play civil engineer and architect, and a continuing challenge to keep motor and mental skills working.

Am attempting to build a logging layout, after lapse of 20 years in the hobby. Looking for ideas and plans for structures, and Log handling equipment such as cranes and skids.

Enjoy scratch building. Inclined to work on the cheap using found materials. Am a newbie on eBay and feel like a kid in a candy factory. Not inclined to go modern with electronics and scenic materials— a reflection of old age perhaps. Inclined to be wedded to the simple old TechniqueS from the 60s.

Also do boat building, model airplanes, plus building of whimsical creatures from driftwood, but enjoying getting back to model rail roading.

Looking forward to hearing from logging rr enthusiasts with links to sites for scratch building of appropriate features.

I do not have any knowledge of logging railroads, so I cannot assist you in that respect. But I do want to welcome you aboard our forum, what we think is the friendliest forum on the Internet.
There are a number of members here who do logging RR's, but given that it is a holiday weekend, it may be a couple of days before you get many responses. Don't give up on us!
Ain't nothing wrong with the simple old techniques from the 60's, I use a few myself.

Transition between steam and diesel — 40 s and 50s in n Mi and Wi

My experience is mainly with the S.E. I dont think there was that much logging by rail by 1940 , Most of the narrow gauge logging was earlier in the century. Transportation by rail( standard gauge) for pulp is still used.

Back