Building a Module; Photo Diorama

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hi Guys

A while back i built this photo diorama so i could take some pics of my trains and trucks on when i dont have a layout, like right now lol

Anyways, here is how i did it

1-1.jpg

View looking right down the Diorama. Single Track is raised in the back.

1-2.jpg

You can see my grandmas dog in the bottom left corner, she likes to help hehe. You can also see how the roads will be layed out, 2 lanes going East and 2 lanes going West, Only one of the lanes going West is blocked off due to construction. There will also be a center divider in between the East and Westbound lanes.

1-3.jpg

You can see that the road dead ends here. Thats because the Black Gold Asphalt Plant is just to the right. The road goes North and under the train track. Lots of construction will be going on. I just layed stuff out as a general guideline for me and taking the pics so you guys could see how this will be layed out.

1-4.jpg

Black Gold Asphalt Plant sits at the far right of the Diorama

1-5.jpg

View from the back of the Asphalt Plant

1-6.jpg

View from the back of the Highway Underpass

1-7.jpg

Back of the Construction Site

1-8.jpg

Here you can get a better sense of how the roads and such will be layed out. 2 Lanes run Eastbound on the bottom of the display, and 2 lanes run Westbound (again one is blocked off due to construction), a Center Divider separates the East and Westbound lanes, and in the top of the picture you see where the Embankment running from where the train track is down to the highway.

1-9.jpg

Highway lanes are 4" wide (or 2" per lane), Center Divider is 1 1/4, and the Black Gold Asphalt Entrance is marked at the bottom of the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did up one of the hill sides with some paper wads and some masking tape, now to put the plaster cloth on er'

2-1.jpg

Ooppsss, looks like My finger slipped in the pic lol

2-2.jpg

Looking Left from the Underpass

2-3.jpg

View from the track

Okay, laid the plaster cloth down. I have never used plaster cloth before, it was pretty fun and im looking forward to other embankment on the other side of the bridge

Im using the Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth stuff and it works really well. I like how the embankment took its shape and I cant wait to paint it and put some bushes and whatnot on it. It says to let dry overnight on the package but it is 95 degrees here so i dont think it will take that long to dry, it has already began to harden. Ill still wait a few hours to do anything to it, I dont want it to mold or anything lol.

Anyways, here are a few pics of the new embankment:

3-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

Gonna start the roads now that the plaster cloth is laid. Im using the Woodland Scenics Smooth-It stuff for the roads

Got the Woodland Scenics Paving Tape down where the roads will go.

Heres some pics

4-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

Looking Left. I had to lay some extra tape so that I could reach all the space with the spreader so thats why there is the triangle and the smaller rectangles and such...

Well layed the roads down with the Smooth-It Mix, now just letting it dry some to peal back the paving tape and go over the spots that I had to lay down to reach other spots with the "paving board" lol.

Here are some more pics:

5-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

5-4.jpg

I have to remove the excess tape and fill in the tape holes (the triangle and long rectangle) Gonna go do that now since it has been about 25 mins since I layed the Smooth-It down

Peeled the Paving tape away and it left nice straight lines

6-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

You can get a better idea of what I was talking about with the triangles and rectangles on my last post. I have to fill these in with more Smooth-It. I also tested that turn coming from the bridge with a Ford Aeromax Cab and a 53' Trailer, the turn is just wide enough for the truck to make the turn, thats prototypical right there, I always see huge rigs like these just barely making there turns, its so exiting to watch

Showing the paint I used

7-2.jpg

7-3.jpg

This sides all painted up, next is a coat of green grass and then some bushes and trees will be added in

I took some pics of the embankment that I covered in ground cover, small bushes and some rocks. I still need to add a few trees. Here are the pics. I had to use the flash cause it was early morning and the sun hadn't reached the backyard yet lol so ill take some better pics later but for now these will do.

8-1.jpg

8-2.jpg

8-3.jpg

8-4.jpg

8-5.jpg

8-6.jpg

8-7.jpg

8-8.jpg

I haven't decided what to do with the bottom part of the embankment yet (the part that is still brown) but that isgoing to be part of the construction zone down there so I might just make it look like that small part had been cut away to make room.

Finished the rest of the embankment on the Construction Zone side (left of the bridge). I really like how it turned out. Here are some pics:

9-1.jpg

9-2.jpg

9-3.jpg

9-4.jpg

So the left side of the bridge is pretty much done as far as the embankment goes, the only thing left to do is add a few trees

Member those gaps in the road I was talking about earlier and posted a pic of? Well I filled them in finally

10-1.jpg

10-2.jpg

I mean you could still see where they were but its no big deal, I still have to sand the roads so....

Got the other embankment down with the plaster cloth.

11-1.jpg

11-2.jpg

11-3.jpg

11-4.jpg

Now to let it dry and then paint it

Up until this point, i was building this at my grandparents house, and i did not have a camera at the time so i was using my grandpas camera. So to bridge the gap between the last pictures posted and these next pictures, here is what i have done:

Since the last pics I have:

* finished the right embankment (groundcover, bushes and rocks)
* painted the roads
* painted the area for the asphalt plant (still need to lay fravel down)
* touched up the areas below the embankments
* started adding the barriers and cones for the construction site.
* installed in utility poles

Here is some pics to show some of the scenes that I could set up on this. I also need to find a better spot to take pics lol. Member, I built this to take pics of my weathered trains, trucks and construction equipment so the pics that I take on this for now on will all me close-ups and look like its more of a layout then a small board

12-1.jpg

12-2.jpg

12-3.jpg

12-4.jpg

12-5.jpg

12-6.jpg

12-7.jpg

12-8.jpg

12-9.jpg

12-10.jpg

12-11.jpg

12-12.jpg

12-13.jpg

12-14.jpg

12-15.jpg

12-16.jpg

Ditch for new corrugated piping for drainage

12-17.jpg

12-18.jpg

12-19.jpg

You can see the unfinished part I need to finish off in this pic

12-20.jpg

12-21.jpg

12-22.jpg

12-23.jpg

12-24.jpg

12-25.jpg

12-26.jpg

CAT Loader scooping some dirt and gravel

Man, that is a great job on the diorama. All kinds of neat small scenes you can make for both the trucks and train. This is the perfect kind of idea for someone without enough space for a full layout.

Thanks guys for the comments, this was a very fun module to build, and your right Jim, this is a perfect thing to do if you dont have too much space and you wanna create a small manageable diorama to show off some trucks, cars, and trains :D

came across this looking for some ideas for some expansion projects of my own- great set-up you have there. have you ever used MDF as a base vs. plywood? I've used it for awhile now... it seems to work much better and is a lot less work- especially if most of your layout is road way or parking lot (which my stuff is because I don't do trains- just diecast) and it seems to work pretty well when you add layers of scenery, lanscape forms etc. too.

Back