Building a layout that you can play with

dstern350

I am new to modelling. I am starting to plan an ho layout that I can build with my kids. I am looking for a theme that would allow me to have "playable action" in the layout to keep them engaged long after we are done building it. I have been doing a lot of reading on the general subject to get educated. My impression is that most of the focus on modelling is in the static details - scenery, painting, etc..

Is it possible to make the layout more interactive - dare I say more like a toy?

My boys are 4 and 6 and they enjoy the challenge of switching cars. We are building an industrial switching shelf layout. When complete, switching the cars will be like completing a puzzle that's changes each session. I also try to get them involved in the building of the layout, so they feel some ownership. I buy them their own cars that they weather.

Prior to this layout we built a small oval round and round layout and fully scenic key it. It was a good experience, but as for running it they lose interest after about a half hour then I pack it away for a few months before I drag it out again and they play with it for a half hour.

One thing I've learned is not to worry about the kids breaking stuff. Tach them the proper way to handle things carefully and expect some stuff to get broken. I know I break way more stuff than they do.

You might consider the possibility of incorporating scale amusement park rides into your layout. The animation might keep young children interested.
If you have a son, you might consider incorporating a slot car race track into the layout. A daughter might enjoy having one scale house at the edge of the layout built like a really small doll house with furniture.
Some train sets have or had playable pieces that you could look for. Equipment for loading and unloading logs, pipes, coal and other freight.

Last edited by a moderator:
It never hurts to have a few roads for them to run their Hot Wheels on. Cars seem to fasinate longer than trains do. It doesn't have to be bullet prove but keep it simple enough they don't feel like they are going to break something everytime they touched it.
Most of all have fun and enjoy it with them. I say this as a Dad who kind of screwed up that last part.

When I play trains on the floor with my nephews and their various train sets, the train barely completes a lap before they've torn out a section and re-engineered it.

I wonder if a good collection of HO track with integrated road bed (Bachmann or Kato, for example) and a bunch of buildings might be more appropriate. You can still get quite elaborate with the track plan and include complex yards, but the group will also be able to rearrange the track to create different railroad experiences.

Then when everyone settles down on excitement you could transition to flextrack and permanent configuration. Hopefully everyone will have good experience at handling the set and operating trains and running them together will be more rewarding rather than frustrating ;)

It never hurts to have a few roads for them to run their Hot Wheels on. Cars seem to fasinate longer than trains do. It doesn't have to be bullet prove but keep it simple enough they don't feel like they are going to break something everytime they touched it.
Most of all have fun and enjoy it with them. I say this as a Dad who kind of screwed up that last part.

Are hot wheels close to HO scale?

Close enough for a kid. I used Matchboxes as a kid and my own sons and me used Hot Wheels and Matchboxes. Some of the Matchbox trucks actually scale close to HO. I still have some on the layout, but then again I'm flexible that way.

My boys and I built the Gum Stump & Snowshoe and operated on it. Took about 45 minutes to run through a session, about the limit of their attention. They enjoyed it because it was hands on all the time. On my railroad they run stuff too, usually with the engines and cars they put together (no restrictions on roads names or era for them).

They did NOT like to watch trains run, even in a big loop, they wanted hands on control and switching.

If you have skills in either computers or electronics, you may want to look at Arduino to add some interactivity to your layout. With a little imagination you can hook the Arduino into many parts of your layout. I've been wanting to get started with the Arduino but lack the electronics experience.

Here's an example of what someone did with the Arduino and their model railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBncD776Aj8

He hooked his train up to be controllable with a WII Nunchuck controller, among other things. The Arduino could be used to control trains, lights, motors, LEDs and a lot of other really cool stuff, so it might be the right thing to add extra interactivity to your layout. :)

Back