Building a Craftsman Wood Depot with Peeling Paing

Ron, In video #1 it takes almost 4 minutes before you actually start getting to the construction of your kit. Can I suggest that you reduce your introduction and tighten things up. I like the topics you choose to make videos of. You get to the actual work on the structure in much quicker time in video #2. Thank you! I am starting to see many of your videos being available for view at the various websites I go to for information and forum discussions. Thanks for your hard work!

Last edited by a moderator:
I somewhat expected a comeback on my post above! Since it has been almost a month since I left that feedback, I will take it that once again I have overstepped my bounds! certainly since you are the video producer you can do things the way you want; so, never mind my suggestions!

Mark,
My apology. I had a similar comment elsewhere and responded and I guess I thought I had responded to both. I did not mean to ignore your comment.

I appreciate what you are saying. I am trying to keep intros shorter. I know that I do have a tendency to over explain things. It is kind of the by product of the type of teaching and training I do for a living. The problem I face is that I am working with two different audiences. Folks on forums like this want just the video content--cut to the chase. I also have my channel audience in YouTube, however, where I am creating more of a community, which means I need some more personal stuff and certain announcements for that crowd. The vast majority of complaints I get about things like intros come from forums. TBH I am about ready to stop posting my videos on forums altogether as what speaks to the YouTube audience and what speaks to the forums audience is very different.

Please know, I was not offended by this suggestion. I simply overlooked it, as I said, due to a similar comment on another forum that I got it confused with. Thanks for your input.

Ron

i suggest you not stop posting your videos on forums. there are new comers to the hobby every day. many are just getting to the point where they want to venture past the guy at the hobby shop, want to learn and venture out to the forums. some find forums before they consider youtube. it is amazing how many people come into the hobby shop and start asking questions. i give them my take on it, but also suggest google as another place to look, as there is more than one way to skin a cat. i also do include the disclaimer that just because they can post a video does not mean they really know the content.

I agree with below, the content of your videos is excellent! Certainly not the only way to "Skin A Cat"; but, in the end you have a cat without skin!

i suggest you not stop posting your videos on forums. there are new comers to the hobby every day. many are just getting to the point where they want to venture past the guy at the hobby shop, want to learn and venture out to the forums. some find forums before they consider youtube. it is amazing how many people come into the hobby shop and start asking questions. i give them my take on it, but also suggest google as another place to look, as there is more than one way to skin a cat. i also do include the disclaimer that just because they can post a video does not mean they really know the content.

Ron, I'll 4th your posts (seeing I only came in 4th), you do an excellent job and your professionalism shows through. The chat at the beginning will appeal to the newcomer, the rest of us will make allowances. I also tend to be wordy if I'm giving instructions on something and wonder if I go overboard, but referring to things a viewer needs to be aware of, especially anyone not familiar with, say, what to be careful with when unpacking a kit (or even a ready to use/roll item) about loose items, can't be overstated. Your experience counts. Thanks for taking the time with your thread, I'm sure it will attract more readers, and comments.

Toot, does this mean we all speak Aussie? Or, do you simply understand American?

Toot, does this mean we all speak Aussie? Or, do you simply understand American?

More like you would no doubt struggle with some Aussie dialects and Accents (they do exist) and probably NZ ones too (there is a running joke of how Kiwi's pronounce six (sux), where as to Kiwi's the Aussie pronunciation is more like seex) I discovered early that to reproduced the local sounds it was necessary to hold the tip of the tongue up behind the front teeth, reducing the volume of air in the mouth, whereas NZ'ers, hold the tongue down, increasing it. American Accents and dialects vary much more across the breadth and depth of the continent. I theorise that atmospheric differences, not just cultural background, play a role in them too. Some come closer, to ours than others. Some styles of spoken delivery are easier as well, especially because of the US's broader immigrant bases. My mother, who came from Plymouth in Devon, England, when visiting my Fathers family in Newcastle, up near the Scottish border, couldn't understand a word they said. Sort'a makes me wonder how I got here.

Back