Building a 4X6 layout for my son.

DaRule762

Hello all, short time lurker first time poster. My wife and I decided to build an HO layout for are soon to be 6 year old(love's trains something fierce) . Since we will be moving and will have limited space I thought I'd go with a small layout for now. Ordered and received an atlas twice around in code 83, then built a table for it. It will go under the kids bunk beds so it will be sliding in and out. Nothing too fancy as I want to make sure his love of trains stays. I have a few questions though. How hard or easy is it to switch from dc to dcc, as far as having to rewire and is cat5 alright to use for switches/points. Thanks in advance. Here are a few pics of my progress so far. Any criticisms or advice are welcome.

Looks like a nice layout for a six year old. Switching to DCC is very simple. If you have the layout wired for DC with block controls, you just make usre each block is powered and you're set to go. It's really much easier to just to start with DCC, since you basically only need one connection ot the tracks in a layout that small. A Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller isn't much more than a good quality power pack, and you can run both DC and DCC powered trains with it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive units, but that would be an advantage with a six year old, since it's much easier to run.

Cat 5 wire is #24 AWG. Twisted pair wiring would give you about the equivalent of #14AWG, which is more than sufficient for powering switch machines. Many large club layouts use CAT 5 cables for this kind of thing with no problems.

I was looking at the Bachmann ez-command I thought it work well for him (and I). Might just go with that to start for the fist few years. Thanks for the answer on the cat5 cable, I have a ton of it laying around left over from wiring my ( soon to be former) house. Hope to work more on it next week. Ill post more pics then. Gotta get it done for his b-day. Thanks again.

Dan.

The Bachmann system is pretty limited. For a 6 year old, it's probably more than adequate, but if he gets seriously into the hobby at some point you'll be looking at an upgrade.

The Bachmann system is pretty limited. For a 6 year old, it's probably more than adequate, but if he gets seriously into the hobby at some point you'll be looking at an upgrade.

He's only six though. It's not like he's going to be building a model railroad empire any time soon.

Bachmann EZ Command will be perfect for him for quite a while.

but then even DC will be fine for him for quite a while. till then sticking to DCC ready engines and waiting out the expense of DCC system is IMHO the way to go. later if a need for multiple engines and operator arises, pick up a pre-owned but full featured entry level DCC system instead. bachman will be to expensive if the kid gets bored and will be replaced anyway at some point if he does finds a passion for this. my 2c

very nice layout BTW :thumbsup:

Could someone tell what I would be missing with the Bachmann ez-command vs. a different DCC system.

Could someone tell what I would be missing with the Bachmann ez-command vs. a different DCC system.

The EZ-command basically lack a screen, userful for programmation, it also lack the feature button F0 to F20 (these button are used to blast the horn of sound equipped locomotive, dimm the headlight and more)
You cannot program a locomotive either with the EZ.

I would rather look at a Digitrax Zephyr or a NCE powercab system wich are not much higher priced
The power output from the ez is not much either, both other system have about twice the power

Guys, I dont understand why the EZ Command system isnt perfect for this setup?

Hes 6, he is probably not going to be operating a fleet of locomotives, with sound and intricate lights. Eventually he might, but that wont be for probably another 5 or 6 years at least before he can afford something that would require the features of a higher end DCC system. Not to mention, even a 12 year old with a locomotive like that is borderline of a bad idea. Simple Bachmann or other similar brands of locomotives should be fine and safe enough for him. The only reason i can see a reason to find a better DCC system would be to add sound, which adds another level of involvment, but also makes engines around $200.

A more important question, in my opinion, is how involved will dad be with this layout?

Is it something you are going to do with your son, or will it be something mostly for him? If you are going to be involved, your obviously old enough to be careful with more equipped locomotives. If you plan on being involved with something like that, then a better DCC system may be a good idea. If you dont plan on being that involved with your sons layout, then the EZ Command system should be fine. In my opinion that is.

Ill be right there with him. I enjoy the trains but not as much as he dose. Its not something Ill just let him play with by himself. Ill be there to watch mostly. He's not too concerned about sound, he makes his own. Having the ability to turn lights on and off would be nice I think he' like that. He dose like to turn the room lights off and pretend it's night. Having looked at the bachmann ez it seems like it would be fine for both him and I and eventually his little brother. Its a small lay out so I can't see running more then two engines at a time. Ive seen the bachmann ez by its self for just under a hundred and also the ez w/ a train engine for about 130.00. Not bad in my eyes. I just wonder if there is something glaring that I'm missing w/ the ez-system for this layout.

Thanks.

Danny.

Guys, I dont understand why the EZ Command system isnt perfect for this setup?

1. it is more expensive then DC
2. inability to directly program a CV, just like not having a basic toolkit in your car for when you need to change that blown tire . you don't do it often but being stuck with decoder that suddenly forgot its settings and not able to troubleshoot is not fun.
3. pre-owned and sometimes even new, full featured system (digi, nce or mrc) can be found for the same price .

i would also add CV readback to nice to have functionality list (entry level MRC lacking here), its sure nice to have when you need to figure out why things are not working.

Unless you go with DC, i still think anything more than the EZ Command system is an overkill, but i respect and acknowledge your points Tankist.

EDIT:
actually NVM, i dont really want to start long argument here about minor things..
with that, it is OPs decision to make...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tankist raised a goods points here, do not be abble to reset a crazy decoder is not good.
Best thing to do is to go shop around, who know what kind of good deal you may find ?
Its not like if you need it tomorow either. I would bet that before christmas there will be some nice deals for all Dcc starter kits

I returned to the hobby not too long ago after learning about the advent of DCC, introducing my youngest at the same time. We both picked up the Bachmann EZ-DCC systems to start out. He is still using and happy with his (he's 10), I was looking to replace mine after a month and a half. Found a good deal on an NCE Power Cab system and am quite pleased with the choice. I don't do all the things that the NCE is capable of, but quickly exceeded the capabilities of the Bachmann setup.

The thing is if you are going to be doing it with your son, you want a layout that will grow with you so you stay interested. That is why EZ DCC is not enough.

damn did you think your post would have went to this.... dcc or no dc or no dcc what happen to its your world do what you want. I got dc and love my one train........ keep it simple and sweet.....

Any more pictures?
Waiting for time and money. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks for asking.

After all thats been said Ill probably wait awhile for DCC and stick with DC for now. Its only 4x6 so I thought the ez would be fine but the issue w/ the decoder possibly wonking out and not being able to fix it with the ez is a big concern.

Back