Building a 25 foot GN Wooden Caboose

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
One of the things I bought myself for my birthday in November was the LaserKits 25 foot wooden sided Great Northern Caboose.

I've been slowly building it over the past few weeks and today I got to the point where I could shoot some paint on it.

The kit is full of "peel and stick" laser cut wood parts and is pretty well detailed. Some of the wooden parts are very thin and fragile though and some of the "sticky" is not sticking 100% so I'm going to have to go add some super glue here and there.

The instructions are pretty good, but you need to look at the prototype photos to make sure you are putting some parts on with the correct orientation. I managed to get the roof underlayment on upside-down so the smoke jack hole was on the wrong side, but I put the roof covering on the right way (couldn't put it on wrong) so I'll just drill out the smoke jack hole in the right place.

Some of the parts are resin impregnated paper of some sort and glue doesn't stick all that well.

Anyway, here are some in-process photos.

Just getting started - glued up the four inside walls.

Added the sheathing to the four sides and installed the cupola and roof underlayment. I left the roof off the cupola so I can glaze the windows after painting.

Installed the window frames, the roof covering and all the trim boards. If you look closely you can see the end windows even have bars on them.

Installed the roofwalk supports and test fitting the frame and ends. I left the bottom unattached until after painting so I can shoot it with black spray and not have to hand paint it.

Ready for paint. The brake detail is just roughed in, I'm not going to fully detail it for two reasons: 1) I don't actually know what it's supposed to look like, though I could take a guess, and 2) I'm too lazy since it will be difficult to see unless there is a horrible accident on the layout and the caboose turns turtle.

I've actually shot the paint, but the red needs another coat. I spent a bunch of time thinking about how to paint this model. As I mentioned above I left the cupola roof off so I can glaze the windows after painting. I still need to figure out the correct order for sealing the paint, adding the decals, applying dull cote and then glazing the windows. The cupola roof needs to go on after the windows, but also needs painting... I do have some brush-on dull cote, so I'll probably just do the roofs last and brush them.

Anyway, I'll update this thread with more photos when it's done.

I have several Northern Pacific American Model Builder Laser Kit Cabooses and a couple of Gloor Craft wood caboose kits for same, under my belt. They are wonderful kits that stand-up right next to Brass Models. What's neat about Laser Kit models is they offer so many different road's caboose kits that you should be able to find a kit for your line. Here is their website: http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm For the Northern Pacific, they offer a kit for the 1200 series and the 1700 series. I will say that if you want to ad interior details and/or glaseing to the windows of the caboose that you will need to think the process of building and painting through, because the kit instructions do not cover these aspects of the build.

HPIM8163.JPG

The instructions for my kit do address glazing and make an off-hand remark about not gluing the floor in if you plan on adding interior detailing.

The difficulty I had was determining where in the build it makes sense to start painting. I think I got it right. :)

Good looking caboose. It's nice to see modelers taking the interest and time building these wood kits. When I got out of N scale and was starting my HO layout I built many wood kits, many being the old Silver Streak kits. I love the old wood kits. I almost built this GN caboose but chose this one for my freelance railroad. Also built a few other wood cabooses.

IMAG0267.jpg IMAG0266.jpg

Keep up the good work. Waiting to see the finisher car.

The decals are not 100% prototypical. I can't tell from the GNRHS reference sheet whether these cabooses (cabeese?) ever had both the "See America First" herald AND the safety slogans at the same time. All the pictures in the reference sheet with safety slogans have a newer herald. But I want the GNP herald on my caboose.

I also picked the car number semi-randomly, so the configuration of the caboose probably doesn't exactly match car X582. The safety slogan is the correct one for the car number - there were 10 slogans and they were applied based on the last digit of the car number.

But it's my railroad and my caboose, so I'm going to make it the way I want! :)

Looks great!
Did you gloss before decaling, and they water slide?
Looks like they set in nicely between the boards!

Rico, I don't see glazing in the windows and the decals are already on, so my guess is the decalling was first.

Twforman, it is really handy to be a member of a Railroad's Historical Asso. when it comes to detailing, isn't it?

Looks great!
Did you gloss before decaling, and they water slide?
Looks like they set in nicely between the boards!

I did put some Testors gloss on the areas where the decals were applied. The decals are from Microscale. They are regular water slide decals.

Rico, I don't see glazing in the windows and the decals are already on, so my guess is the decalling was first.

Twforman, it is really handy to be a member of a Railroad's Historical Asso. when it comes to detailing, isn't it?

I haven't installed the windows yet because I want to spray the model with Dull Cote after decalling but before the window glazing.

There is so much information available from the historical societies, it's a great reference.

Got some more work done. Applied the decals on the other side of the caboose (no pic since it looks just like the first side.)

Installed the roof walks.

Painted the end panels and railings and applied the decals to them.

Still to go is (in no particular order): Build and install the ladders, install the windows, paint the interior, spray the body with Dull Cote, install the cupola roof, install the end panels, bend and install all the grab irons... man, there's quite a list of things to do still.

Back