Brought up my old spray booth in another post "Am I foolish"

Blues909

I need to try to keep posts in their proper places. When I post my mind just tosses it all in one place.

Here are a few photo's . I just reinforced it a bit and made a shelf for it and connected the fan outlet to the outside vent I put in decades ago. I got this plastic spray booth in the early 80's from a now long gone small hobby train shop. It had a belt driven cheap aluminum fan blade so I used the motor because it was big . got a squirrel cage housing with fan and built this. I had to reverse the motor rotation it's a brushless motor so I flipped the housing around. I also changed the yes coffee can homemade square to round outlet so it exits the side rather than the top . Used to be the small coffee cans were 4"OD so I made a gasket soldered the coffee can to a thick section of brass and bolted it together, had to build a spacer out of plywood so the fan housing would clear the booth rear. It uses a 20"x14" furnish filter it used to use a 20x20 . It draws a lot of air . Forgot I also added another section across the top front in the last photo. It also has a plexi-glass panel on top for lighting. If I place two candles at the front the fan will kill the flames. I used 1/4" plywood and decided to use an outside frame of 3/4"x3/4" pine the back has an inside frame due to the need of the filter fixture, The booth is 16" deep . It's glued together other than the three fan bolts and three screws in the bottom that secure it to the shelf and screws for the plexiglass light panel. I've changed this booth a few times , it used to be wider and taller and still drew out the fumes. I was not sure if I should place the fan lower , when it was taller it was lower yet since I cut it down it still draws fumes out well , actually better.

20200222_171649.jpg
20200225_151356 (1).jpg
20200225_151407 (1).jpg
20200229_121940 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Nice booth!
Here's how I did mine:

009.JPG

I made a turntable from a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood and a Lazy Susan bearing I got from Home Depot. I also mounted a piece of angle metal that has lots and lots of holes in it. I use pieces of cut up metal clothes hangers for hook and have a nice way to paint small items. I enjoy making things.

Nice booth!
Here's how I did mine:

View attachment 47845

I made a turntable from a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood and a Lazy Susan bearing I got from Home Depot. I also mounted a piece of angle metal that has lots and lots of holes in it. I use pieces of cut up metal clothes hangers for hook and have a nice way to paint small items. I enjoy making things.
Nice !

Saw this make your own booth . Mainly it's the fan and blower. https://vent-works.com/. My fan is a higher RPM and the squirrel cage is 1/2" smaller OD and the same depth. They made a way to mount the fan flush I had to find my own solution to adapt a square to round outlet for the exhaust fan.

There are all sorts of ways to build one or buy one yet the good ones you buy are not cheap.

Back