Brooklyn Locomotive Works

Has anyone actually been to the Brooklyn Locomotive Works retail store? I'm curious as to what it is like. They appear to be "Mecca" for the N scaler. Their website never ceases to amaze me and if they shipped any faster we would all go back in time.

I wouldn't mind going back to around 1960 with everything I know now. Ha! :p

Not been to their store but I've looked at the BLW site for awhile. May have to try them because I love quick shipping.

There is no store. He works out of his house. I live 20 mins. from him & he doesn't allow local pick ups. I could save a lot on shipping. But, he does have everything at great prices.

I wouldn't mind going back to around 1960 with everything I know now. Ha! :p

Not been to their store but I've looked at the BLW site for awhile. May have to try them because I love quick shipping.

Dude...I've ordered from them 4-5 or times now and he ships fasssst. His prices on NCE are the best and his prices are about 95% of M.B. Klein's are. In some cases he beats them especially on rolling stock. I've bought stuff from him on Saturday and gotten it on Tuesday and he's in NY and I'm in Fort Worth!

Dude...I've ordered from them 4-5 or times now and he ships fasssst. His prices on NCE are the best and his prices are about 95% of M.B. Klein's are. In some cases he beats them especially on rolling stock. I've bought stuff from him on Saturday and gotten it on Tuesday and he's in NY and I'm in Fort Worth!
Wow that is amazing because M.B. Klein has great low prices on most stuff. They are my favorite up to now except for their slow order to ship time. Just received my third order from M.B. Klein and very happy.

I buy from both dealers and am satisfied with both except for the shipping from MBK. BLW ships by USPS Priority which gets my orders to me in usually two days (New Jersey to Washington state) while MBK uses UPS Ground which will take at least a week, interesting considering that the shipping fees are about the same.

I buy from both dealers and am satisfied with both except for the shipping from MBK. BLW ships by USPS Priority which gets my orders to me in usually two days (New Jersey to Washington state) while MBK uses UPS Ground which will take at least a week, interesting considering that the shipping fees are about the same.

I'm not sure if you knew but you can change the shipping option from MBK to USPS Priority if you like and its cheaper usually as well.

I'm not sure if you knew but you can change the shipping option from MBK to USPS Priority if you like and its cheaper usually as well.

I usually just went with their cheapest way which I assumed to be UPS Ground, thanks for the heads up on the USPS option.

I had placed two orders with Pete a few days apart,Pete shipped both orders as one saving me money and shipped FASTTTTTTTTT left New Jersy on Thursday and I got it today (Saturday) in Washington state.I WILl be ordering again from him !!!

L

I placed a $1100 order for Peco N scale code 55 turnouts since he had the lowest price and had them in stock, BUT,

I was very unhappy about the way the very small box was packed. Absolutely NO packing material around the turnouts. In fact, they were so crammed in this ridiculously undersized box, the sides bulged outward.
If it was a box of ground cover, that probably wouldn't be a issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed a $1100 order for Peco N scale code 55 turnouts since he had the lowest price and had them in stock, BUT,

I was very unhappy about the way the very small box was packed. Absolutely NO packing material around the turnouts. In fact, they were so crammed in this ridiculously undersized box, the sides bulged outward.
If it was a box of ground cover, that probably wouldn't be a issue.
Ouch! I hear your pain.....that doesn't sound good. I guess every vendor has their strong points and weak points. Good quality turnouts are an item that ought to be carefully packed especially when new.

I'm envious of your excellent boat load of new peco switches. Hope they are OK. :)

1. To ship a package of that value in anything less than being doubled box is terrible. I could see if it was a dozen or so, but there were 64 turnouts in all!
2. Then to cramp it all in such a small box is unbelievable. I'm sure he has a ample supply of empty boxes lying around he could of used.

The 1st thing I did was to check the contents and all seem ok. The box was not damaged. It also wasn't going halfway across the country either. Peco turnouts are package well with their plastic tray.
Would I do business with him again? Yes.

1. To ship a package of that value in anything less than being doubled box is terrible. I could see if it was a dozen or so, but there were 64 turnouts in all!
2. Then to cramp it all in such a small box is unbelievable. I'm sure he has a ample supply of empty boxes lying around he could of used.

The 1st thing I did was to check the contents and all seem ok. The box was not damaged. It also wasn't going halfway across the country either. Peco turnouts are package well with their plastic tray.
Would I do business with him again? Yes.

I'm curious if you brought this up with him. Of course being a New Jersey/New Yorker he might not take it well. However, personally I would have said something. That's unacceptable considering the dollar amount of your order.

Bruce,Sorry to hear that,My order was no where near your in the amount of money spent,but it was well packed and then filled with newspaper,the items where shipped in a USPS flatrate box.
In the past I have ordered items from other on-line shops and not to start a on-line debate but the USP beat the living death out of some collector cars,good thing the seller had them insured.

L

I plan on talking with him. I just thought I would mention it since someone else started a thread on the subject.

I'm curious if you brought this up with him. Of course being a New Jersey/New Yorker he might not take it well. However, personally I would have said something. That's unacceptable considering the dollar amount of your order.

Yo:

Just because we live in Jersey, doesn't mean we don't take criticism well. We do, we just give it back better:D. People in other parts of this country do not like criticism;:mad: Like California for instance, only they get real POed. We are used to whiners, being there are so many around, so it's just like this post, a reaction.

Seriously, This guy has been around for a while, I remember when he was located adjacent to the Freehold Secondary while I was on SA31, in the late 80's early 90's. He must be doing something right. I'm in HO, so I normally deal with Trainworld and MB Klein, but the guy has a good reputation.

Go Devils!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back