Broadway Limited Paragon 3 PRR 4444 T1 Duplex

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

So I bought this for my new proposed layout thinking 24" curves would handle this Locomotive, but alas it does not run well on 24". It has been run 2 times once on a test track at the hobby shop and once on my co workers layout. Asking $500 plus shipping. Shipping will be a tad more expensive as its a larger box. And weighs about 5 lbs without packing.

Paypal Only. No trades or Checks or MO.
bli4444t1a.jpg

bli4444t1.jpg

Smudge617

Really nice loco, definately a keeper, even tho it's too big to run on my layout, unfortunately postage and import tax takes it way out my league, hope somebody can give it a good new home soon.

Really nice loco, definately a keeper, even tho it's too big to run on my layout, unfortunately postage and import tax takes it way out my league, hope somebody can give it a good new home soon.
Yeah dude I hate to see it go. But the store only does returns for store credit and the store is 5 hours from my house. I read a bunch before buying it and says it runs on 24" Radius. But my buddy has 34" radius on his layout and it didnt like those. So I tried running it on some 24" unitrak I have and she complained the whole way and almost seemed to bind up. So I have to stick to smaller steam 4-6-2 and 4-8-4 even my 2-10-4 texas runs fine on 24". But this one just doesnt. Not to mention my wifes car messing up bad today. And telling us its gonna be $5500 to fix. Not worth it.

trailrider

That was the problem the prototype had with the T-1. It was restricted to certain runs between NY and Chicago, IIRC. Beautiful-looking engine, but at those prices, not worth sitting on a shelf! Wish I could help, but one of our dogs just had to have emergency surgery, and I couldn't run a T-1 on my layout either.

Coincidentally, there are a bunch of guys who are actually scratch-building a real one!

That was the problem the prototype had with the T-1. It was restricted to certain runs between NY and Chicago, IIRC. Beautiful-looking engine, but at those prices, not worth sitting on a shelf! Wish I could help, but one of our dogs just had to have emergency surgery, and I couldn't run a T-1 on my layout either.

Coincidentally, there are a bunch of guys who are actually scratch-building a real one!
Yeah im a machinist and already made a few parts for them. My boss at work is a huge train guy and donated $25,000 to them. And offered our services to them. Yeah its a shame too. Its an absolute Gorgeous Loco.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
I had one of these when I had HO scale. It ran without issue on my layout with a mix of 22" and 24" sectional curved track. The only thing I did was fab a slightly longer drawbar to go between the engine and tender. And it didn't have to be much longer, either. Maybe 1/8".

I had one of these when I had HO scale. It ran without issue on my layout with a mix of 22" and 24" sectional curved track. The only thing I did was fab a slightly longer drawbar to go between the engine and tender. And it didn't have to be much longer, either. Maybe 1/8".
The paragon 3 one has a 2 position draw bar and even with the longer set up it has some issues. Maybe they put a different drive in. But regardless now with the wifes car needing to be replaced. Any extra I can get will help with the down payment. Banks are pain in the butt to work with currently.

Selector

This is beside the point...I know you need to sell it, and I hope you have some serious interest...but that locomotive has blind drivers so that it can operate on narrow HO curves. There's no reason that I am experience with, my version being an original QSI-equipped Paragon, that it should not run on 20" curves, albeit slowly. There is something going on with your locomotive...unless you got one with the flanged center driver axles installed by 'someone'

Another point: I'm pretty sure it doesn't weigh 5 pounds. Three, maybe....but not five. I might be mistaken. :)

To those reading and sitting on the fence: these are very good locomotives with tons of pulling power. I'm amazed at how many Walthers Heavyweight cars it can tow, even with a couple of express reefers behind the tender...up 3% grades. And they look fast standing still.

One bit of gentle advice, if you'll forgive me for being forthright: I think you'll have to lower the price substantially, unless there are no others being sold on line and two or three buyers are willing to duke it out for a couple of rounds of bidding.

This is beside the point...I know you need to sell it, and I hope you have some serious interest...but that locomotive has blind drivers so that it can operate on narrow HO curves. There's no reason that I am experience with, my version being an original QSI-equipped Paragon, that it should not run on 20" curves, albeit slowly. There is something going on with your locomotive...unless you got one with the flanged center driver axles installed by 'someone'

Another point: I'm pretty sure it doesn't weigh 5 pounds. Three, maybe....but not five. I might be mistaken. :)

To those reading and sitting on the fence: these are very good locomotives with tons of pulling power. I'm amazed at how many Walthers Heavyweight cars it can tow, even with a couple of express reefers behind the tender...up 3% grades. And they look fast standing still.
Like I said. The loco runs smooth as glass on straight runs and the local model railroad club has 2 of them, but their curves are 80"+ radius. LOL. And unfortunately having to replace my wifes car the bank said they want $2000 down. So at this point its gonna need to be sold as of course we just paid a bunch of bills and are broke. My wife is using my car today to go to work. Her car is sitting at the dealer we bought the car from its 15 years old. But transmission for this little car is expensive $5500 as they dont put a reman in they will only put in a brand new one. :(

Smudge617

Like I said. The loco runs smooth as glass on straight runs and the local model railroad club has 2 of them, but their curves are 80"+ radius. LOL. And unfortunately having to replace my wifes car the bank said they want $2000 down. So at this point its gonna need to be sold as of course we just paid a bunch of bills and are broke. My wife is using my car today to go to work. Her car is sitting at the dealer we bought the car from its 15 years old. But transmission for this little car is expensive $5500 as they dont put a reman in they will only put in a brand new one. :(
What car does you wife have ?, at $5500 for a transmission I wouldn't bother with it, and just get her another car, I'm sure you can find a decent car at half the price.

What car does you wife have ?, at $5500 for a transmission I wouldn't bother with it, and just get her another car, I'm sure you can find a decent car at half the price.
VW Tiguan. VW will not do a reman they will only do new. And ive called a few transmission shops in my area and all have said they all delayed 2weeks to 3 months with work. Parts arent available. So we are going to trade her in, but the banks all want $2000 down because of, in their words, "looming recession" and we dont have perfect credit. So anything I can put toward a down payment will help. As I said she went out and called me saying the car wouldnt go into drive.

Smudge617

VW Tiguan. VW will not do a reman they will only do new. And ive called a few transmission shops in my area and all have said they all delayed 2weeks to 3 months with work. Parts arent available. So we are going to trade her in, but the banks all want $2000 down because of, in their words, "looming recession" and we dont have perfect credit. So anything I can put toward a down payment will help. As I said she went out and called me saying the car wouldnt go into drive.
Ah! I hear you, strange tho', VW's have a pretty good rep when it comes to reliability.
I had a similar issue, which I solved myself thankfully, found that the pin from the lever to the transmission had half broken and would stop the lever moving into drive, a new pin (actually a bolt and split pin), all was well again.

Ah! I hear you, strange tho', VW's have a pretty good rep when it comes to reliability.
I had a similar issue, which I solved myself thankfully, found that the pin from the lever to the transmission had half broken and would stop the lever moving into drive, a new pin (actually a bolt and split pin), all was well again.
Not to mention the shop just called me to tell me they found her rear main seal is leaking and the PCV is clogged(which caused the rear main seal to leak), so that will be an additional $1800 to fix. So $7300......BAHAHAHAHAHA. Nope. Big Nope.

Selector

Scotty Kilmer is on YouTube. He doesn't have much good to say about German automobiles. They're over-engineered, and they are generally very good, especially for the prices you pay, but parts and repairs are horrendous, and it's not just Scotty Kilmer who says so. My mum and dad had a Eurovan about 20 years ago. My dad said it was mostly reliable, but when it went into repairs he never got out of the dealership having spent less than about $2K.

Don't mean to be contrarian, it's just two people whose opinions and experience I respect having spent some time with them.

And how much is a decent 2nd hand car in your area?
In the current market were looking at getting a used low mileage Jeep Cherokee thats about $18,000 with a factory warranty and extended manufacturer warranty. If we were to look at something not at a dealer youre still talking about $10,000-$12,000 with no warranty. So all the really cheap cars are money pits or wont pass a vehicle safety inspection. I live in PA and its part of the rurst belt. So finding rusted out shit boxes is very very common.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.