British narrow gauge in 009 - County Gate

pilotfriend

Grumpy Old Man
County Gate is an exhibition layout in 009 and is a freelance extension of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway on to Minehead. An independent branch line runs to Glenthorne Harbour.
The day is 7th June 1935

6.jpg

meadow next to Glenthorne Hotel

8.jpg

the hotel terrace

9.jpg

hotel entrance

9.jpg

I say chaps! Anyone for bowls?

22.jpg

the station entrance road side

13.jpg

Railcar prototype No200 prepares to depart for Minehead

14.jpg

Taw waits for the right of way for Barbrook Junction

11.jpg

the Malmsmead road and station entrance

7.jpg

the hotel from Glenthorne meadow

16.jpg

goods shed while Garratt waits for right of way from Harbour branch

10.jpg

Railcar arrives from Lynton. The damage from a flash flood can still be seen

13.jpg

mid day trains pass at County Gate

14.jpg

the ex WD Baldwin is the top shunter

15.jpg

1.jpg

the goods yard

21.jpg

the harbour branch engine sheds

35.jpg

'Lew' with an all goods passes railcar no 201

44.jpg

looking down toward the viaduct

1.jpg

East Lyn viaduct

18.jpg

a long way down

1.jpg

Mallet 'River Avon' emerges from tunnel onto viaduct

23.jpg

a hard pull up from the harbour

28.jpg

Lew creeps across the viaduct with an all goods

30.jpg

33.jpg

Glenthorne Harbour with collier

35.jpg

36.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just amazing work, John. How much more British can you get, with lawn bowling and a tea room? :) You have a fantastic eye for detail. Any idea of how many hundreds of pound of ground foam alone you went through?

Don't even ask! It is a landscape that happens to have a railway in it. It is in a British era that was, in my view, a far better place than now!

best regards
John

Cat: Take a number and I'll get back to you.

I am possessed by two on the inside and one outside. The present clan has not been exposed to the last car on the consist disappearing into the tunnel yet. Prior layouts were involved with an inquisitive Siamese who ALWAYS got the last car entering the tunnel:eek:
I wonder if these everpresent furballs could be used to approximate Spanish Moss.

No offence intended- one word comes to mind, and that is: Quaint.

Simply smashing model work! :):):)

It's wonderful, of course, but I don't know if these British display layouts are inspiring or just plain depressing, as an illustration of what model railroading can look like when done right.

Stunning Layout

Absolutely, a stunning layout. It really gives me the feeling of being there in Merry Olde England. Thank you for posting!

You guys are all most kind.

I post some more recent snaps

countygate4.jpg

the latest Mallet, 'River Brue' with a holdiday special for Minehead

bravenewworld.jpg

brave new World....3 railcars have a get-together

theglenthornebaldwinwaitsforrightofway.jpg

Glenthorne Harbour Authority Baldwin No 2 waits with a freight at CG

riverbruedriftsin.jpg

baldwinbenhallidayclimbsontotheeastlynviaduct.jpg

Glenthorne Harbour Authority Baldwin No 2 creeps onto the viaduct while the Glenthorne railcar descends down to the port

15.jpg

CG station with the new bay and shelter installed. Its zinc roof is already well decorated by the seagulls!

2.jpg

CG set up just prior to opening of an exhibition

10.jpg

the rear fiddle yard

I should explain that the vinyl covering of our backdrop makes the sky look greeny when photographed. It is actually blue to the eye. For this reason, I usually replace the sky!

best
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work and it's portable too. :eek: How long does it take to set up? How do you transport it? That is about the nicest portable layout I've ever seen and the back drop and lighting really sets it off.

12m.jpg

The model travels in its own special trailer and is going to Belgium and Holland shortly for major exhibitions.

It takes about 5 hours to set up including checks for all the automation.

Looks like a neat, well organized setup for transporting the layout. I'll bet there's some sore backs after the five hours though. :)

Not as bad as it all looks. Our exhibition stands are errected right next to the trailer and the baseboards then added after the lighting. Then each section is rolled into the exhibition hall.
JdF

The UK

Great work! I have to ask how many months do you have into the layout? Your eye for detail is top notch. I was over there and took a ride on a steamer in Brecon Beacon Wales and it looks just like some of it's scenery and the pictures I have. Just great work. Where do I order the fish and chips?

Hi

The project has logged 12652 hours to date. I have been at it for four and a half years. South Wales is indeed very similar to Devon/Somerset.
best
John

Just wanted to say your layout is amazing I LOVE! your scenery and your attention to detail is supurb ! ...

Great work :)

Back