Bridges

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I am going to have several places on my layout that will require a bridge of some sort.
Is there a site I can go to to learn about bridges.
Maybe a good book to read.

I would like to scratch build or maybe kit bash these bridges.

Hi Dale,

You might want to start with a couple inexpensive bridges that can go anywhere. I have a plate bridge and a girder bridge I got from Peco for under $5.00.

Also, I wish I could remember the site, but if you do a little searching, you might find this website dedicated to railroad bridges around the midwest. You seem to be off to a good start. Please keep posting.

houses8_zps4564becd.jpg

Agree with Kyle. Once you have a couple of the cheap plastic models, you can scratch build your own using them as a guide. If you want wooden bridges, such as trestles, then I would recommend googling HO scale trestle bridges. I purchased a trestle bridge kit that I am yet to build, is high quality but also a price tag to match. Sorry I can't recall the site.

Another way to do your own scratch built bridge is to look at photographs and build them from those photo's, using the cheap plastic bridges to obtain your measurements with respect to width and so forth.

I built a wooden truss bridge recently after receiving some old bridge plans from another member. I can share them with you if you'd like (PM me). My layout is early 1900s, so they are of a very old design. The website that engineerkyle is referring to is: http://www.blackbearcc.com/index.shtml There are also some nice bridges here: http://www.peterbororr.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=9

The thread I put up about my bridge is here: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...960-Building-a-Wooden-Truss-Bridge&highlight=
And here is some information gathering I did for that bridge: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...33860-HO-Wooden-Truss-Bridge-Plans&highlight=

I would suggetst building one yourself. A good start is (like the others have said) to get a cheap kit and modify it (kit bash). It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Good luck! And make sure to start a build thread! It makes for a great reference when you move on to your 3rd, 4th, 50th bridge. And it helps out the young guys that have never done it before!

My layout time period is in the 50s.
I am saving pictures of bridges from around that time period to view later.
I may pick up a few bridges to kit bash and play with.
Good idea, thanks

I tried to design several bridges from books I picked up from the webbynet.
This did not work out well.

I did find a nice looking bridge kit that looked like what I was after.

Has anyone ever built or know anything about Central Valley Model Works?
They offer a 150' through truss kit.

Think I will try this.

The Central Valley bridge kits are very difficult to build. I tried to build one, and I have a lot of experience with plastic model kits.

Its a craftsmen type kit, and you have to do lots of precise measuring/cutting. They give you a template to build the sides of the truss, confusing instructions and some plastic peices were warped. My bridge came out all crooked looking, it looked bad. So I scrapped it. Way to hard for me.

I ended up getting the Micro Engineering truss bridges, they are easy to build and they look fantastic. High quality plastic and simple instructions.

Look here: http://microengineering.com/products_br.htm

Good luck.

Thanks Michael.
I ordered one already so I guess I will find out if I can build it or not.

Does not sound promising.

Kalmback Publishing put out a softcover book, maybe 20 years ago now, on bridges, trestles, and such. Went for probably $20 when new. Still might be in print, at some hobby shops, or you can always try on line, too. I don't have a copy of it, as I never got to that point with most of my layouts.

Thanks Michael.
I ordered one already so I guess I will find out if I can build it or not.

Does not sound promising.

Oh man well give it shot and see what happens, you might have better luck than me. Just be prepared for lots of cutting.

I like a good challenge Michael.
They should be here tomorrow.
I have plenty of time now and I am looking forward to building some structures.
otiscnj, I will look for it on the webbienet today.
Thanks.

I ended up getting the Micro Engineering truss bridges, they are easy to build and they look fantastic. High quality plastic and simple instructions.

I remember when you posted the other (Central Vally) build and your frustration was not masked.

I checked out the website for the microengineering products but no pictures that I could find. Could you post your picture and the model/cost?

Thanks a ton, lasm

I remember when you posted the other (Central Vally) build and your frustration was not masked.

I checked out the website for the microengineering products but no pictures that I could find. Could you post your picture and the model/cost?

Thanks a ton, lasm

They need photos on their website. Geeez. If you go to modeltrainstuff they have all the photos of all their bridges. I have the combination deck & through bridge.

Here: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Bridges-s/1519.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=1519&show=30&page=2

I also got the Vollmer through truss bridge. Its already built and made of metal. Here: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/vol/vol2562.htm

These are the two bridges in this scene.

P1000432.JPG

The bridge kits arrived today.
Does not look like anything to cut to size.
Whole bunch of parts to glue together.
Reminds me of the old car kits I used to get back in the 50s and 60s.
Looks to be fairly complete instructions also.

I will let you all know how it works out.

The bridge kits arrived today.
Does not look like anything to cut to size.
Whole bunch of parts to glue together.
Reminds me of the old car kits I used to get back in the 50s and 60s.
Looks to be fairly complete instructions also.

I will let you all know how it works out.

Aha. Well thats what I thought when I first got the kit. Didn't look too hard. First you have glue the truss peices together, then you have to cut them to fit with the template. Then you have to complete four of those sections. Then glue them
all together. Thats when I found out my measurements for cutting were off, the angles have to be perfect or it will come out crooked.

And the instructions are not clear enough as to the exact pieces to use. They only show you a picture of the parts. The parts aren't numbered, so I got some of the pieces mixed up too. Didn't find out until too late after gluing.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got a little deeper into the kit.
Yep, you have parts to cut and fit.
Yep, the parts are not marked in any way.

One nice thing I did find was that they have a video on making this bridge.
It answers some questions but not all.

Looks to be challenging and interesting.

I will keep you posted.

Ya keep us posted on your progress, it will take you a while. Take your time, I was in a rush and that was part of the problem.

And some of the pieces were warped, did you inspect all the pieces?

I didn't know there was a video on making it, interesting.

Back