Bridge culverts.

Hi Modelers.
Last week I found an old Railroad culvert here on the ex-Omaha line here in Blair. I know their are thousands of culverts out their. But I just though I would be nice to post three photos for you guys if you want to Model one some day. This Railroad culvert was built back in 1914. It is still their. Take care.

AbandonedOmahaline005.png

AbandonedOmahaline007.png

AbandonedOmahaline008.png

Your culvert.

Thanks for posting, it's kind of interesting how high they made the culvert.

Culverts

There's one just like it about a mile from my house on the old New Haven line in Carmel, NY. I thought about taking a photo of it but never have. What's under the wing walls some type of piles?

NYC_George

There's one just like it about a mile from my house on the old New Haven line in Carmel, NY. I thought about taking a photo of it but never have. What's under the wing walls some type of piles?

NYC_George
You know. Now that you mention it. I'll go back down their later and take a closer look. I'll get some photo's of the Piles. I didn't spend too much time down their.

I suspect there's nothing holding up those wing walls. When the culvert was built, the wing walls were on solid ground. Over the years, through many floods and poor maintenance, the creek scoured out all the ground under the wing walls. The top of that warefal proabably marks the level of the creek when the culvert was built. You can see some pretty serious cracks and concrete spalling on the far wall and it appears that part of the rear of the far wing wall has already collapsed. It's only the massiveness of the structure that's holding it up but, as the years pass and the creek continues to scour out the footings, that culvert will end up being a debris dam in the creek.

Back