Brass Schnabel Car Help

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Guys, anyone have an idea what kind of value this might be??

20190629_115425.jpg
20190629_115443.jpg

Not sure, but the value would certainly be better if it were on my layout...
:)

Terry, it is a nice car. But I have one of the Bachmann's Schnabel cars that is almost twice as long as this one. Trying to thin down my collection a bit to a more manageable size.

Brass Trains' Brass Guide has it listed for $600.00 with pricing trending upward. I usually apply a .85 multiplier to their pricing as a "reality factor" or "expectations adjuster", but in the case of low production or high demand models, you might just get that. Now will someone pay that? Maybe. If it were me I'd dump the Bachmann car and keep this one. The Bachmann car is common as church mice. This one is a much more unique and desirable model, but it's your railroad.

Brass Trains' Brass Guide has it listed for $600.00 with pricing trending upward. I usually apply a .85 multiplier to their pricing as a "reality factor" or "expectations adjuster", but in the case of low production or high demand models, you might just get that. Now will someone pay that? Maybe. If it were me I'd dump the Bachmann car and keep this one. The Bachmann car is common as church mice. This one is a much more unique and desirable model, but it's your railroad.

Now you have me re-thinking Alan. :rolleyes:

Now you have me re-thinking Alan. :rolleyes:
It all depends on your priorities :) I can see selling it and applying the funds to more urgent wants/needs. OTOH I've always been the sort who wants things you don't see every day. They're great conversation starters, among other things. One thing is sure: You'll always get your money back out of brass unless you panic sell, or get stupid.

It all depends on your priorities :) I can see selling it and applying the funds to more urgent wants/needs. OTOH I've always been the sort who wants things you don't see every day. They're great conversation starters, among other things. One thing is sure: You'll always get your money back out of brass unless you panic sell, or get stupid.

No need to sell it for now. I just had no idea that that one car could be as valuable as my Big Boy!! :eek:

A wise old friend once told me "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have".
I've found this to be so true many times over!
Unless you're hurting for funds it costs nothing to hang on to it for now.

A wise old friend once told me "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have".
I've found this to be so true many times over!
Unless you're hurting for funds it costs nothing to hang on to it for now.

The other like that is "You cannot miss something you have never had. Only when you have had, and then lost, can you miss and regret it's passing".

"A frog in a well does not know the great sea." What, you may ask, does this have to do with the other quotes? Nothing, but it's a traditional Japanese proverb that I like.

FWIW, and even though nobody asked me, I think I'd keep the smaller brass schnabel that would better operate on my layout, and sell off the larger Bachmann schnabel.

Yepper, that sounds about right. I have been thinning the herd down a little on FB. The wife says I can buy new stuff if I get rid of some of the older stuff I'm not going to use. o_O

Back