Brass prices, they are falling, atleast at shows

Hate to say it but the pfm gom Rio grande caboose is a foobie. I bought one in the 1990s thinking finally I had a real correct D&RGW 01400 series caboose. Then I compared the model to photos of the real thing. They got the windows wrong on one side. We tend to think brass models are correct replicas, but unfortunately its not always true.

Isn't that the way of it? My investment in brass rolling stock is loosing ground! I should be happy, I could buy more brass at cheaper prices. But, somehow I'm not! Like most of my investments they all seem to loose ground. Oh well!

I always was told, from my first brass at age 15(I am now 46), to never buy as an investment. Buy the model because you like it, appreciate its beauty or need that specialized model for your layout. For those that might be in the market, brasstrains.com is having a spring sale till the 15th, Lots of great deals. I spied a Overland Models, factory painted ATSF GE Dash 8-40BW warbonnet for $221!! Thats a steal. lots of other stuff on sale, 10 to 25% off.

I always was told, from my first brass at age 15(I am now 46), to never buy as an investment. Buy the model because you like it, appreciate its beauty or need that specialized model for your layout. For those that might be in the market, brasstrains.com is having a spring sale till the 15th, Lots of great deals. I spied a Overland Models, factory painted ATSF GE Dash 8-40BW warbonnet for $221!! Thats a steal. lots of other stuff on sale, 10 to 25% off.
What he said. I collect them because they’re accurate for my time period, and also because they’re an art form, but they aren’t an investment. The best you’re eldo when you liquidate is net out.

I made a bigger foobie out of that PFM caboose, As IC brass cabooses are a bit salty, especially the OMI long center cupola one, I got rid of the RIo Grande lettering and put in IC "death star" on it! Looks good to me! For the price, I wasn't leaving it on the table. Pics once the decal setting solution dries and I gloss coat it. Mike the Aspie

I never really thought of the brass pieces I have as an investment. Like you, I bought them simply because I wanted them and there is a lack of high quality Northern Pacific steam equipment out there, unless it is brass. My comment above was somewhat "Tongue in Cheek"! I have had five Brass Northern Pacific Cabooses; but, I sold them all, when American Model Builders (Laser Kit) came out with their wonderful wood N.P. Caboose kits. I think I did O.K. when I sold my brass cabooses; but, I didn't make back what I had spent on them. I agree that the only reason to have brass is that you want it and they generally are not investments that will make you money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back