Brass Locomotive

SP4439

I have a brass southern pacific daylight locomotive that i bought a whle back and it does not run.....need advice on a remotor project.....its an old balboa model from my guess around the 70's or 80's any help or tips will be helpfull as i know nothing about remotoring! Thank you in advance.

If the original motor is of the open frame type I'd defintely replace it with a can type motor,measure the opening under the fire box to be sure the replacement will fit.
Northwest Short Line has a outstanding line of can motors to fit just about any application.
Look for a motor in the 8800 to 9800 rpm range with a high torque value.
This should give you a good prototype speed plus pulling power,And if space permits a flywheel will give better performance and smoother operation.

does NWSL sell any motors that would be a drop in fit or do i have to fabricate a bracket of some sorts to hold the motor?

Most simply use clear silcon caulk, lay down 2 light bead's and set the motor in being sure to line up the motor shaft with the gearbox shaft, When your satisfided with the alighnment set it aside to cure for 24hrs
Its what i'm getting ready to do with a Tenshodo GN. 2-10-2 I'm remotoring in order to install a DCC decoder.
Micro-mark does make a universal motor bracket for locomotives you might be able to use,you can check their website under model railroad items just type in can motor and a motor they sell along with the bracket will come up.
One thing you what to remember brass steamers are lubrication intensive.
gearbox use labelles 106 plastic compatible grease,likewise the siderods need labelles 108 light oil.

Back