Brass Gauges for HO

So I finally have a little time to start a project I've been gathering the information on for years (including getting some help here). I've been wanting to start on my first scratch built engine in brass. Having never done this before, I'm still missing one key piece of information. What stock sizes should I be using for the tender (I'm trying for a SP p-8 class engine). Anyway, I'm going to get a 1.75 inch dowel and bend a piece of sheet brass around it (with heat to make it hold shape) to crate the vanderbilt tank. What gauge brass should I work with for this so its not too heavy, but will still withstand being picked up and moved without real risk of bending? Also any other fabrication tips are welcome.

Thanks

So I finally have a little time to start a project I've been gathering the information on for years (including getting some help here). I've been wanting to start on my first scratch built engine in brass. Having never done this before, I'm still missing one key piece of information. What stock sizes should I be using for the tender (I'm trying for a SP p-8 class engine). Anyway, I'm going to get a 1.75 inch dowel and bend a piece of sheet brass around it (with heat to make it hold shape) to crate the vanderbilt tank. What gauge brass should I work with for this so its not too heavy, but will still withstand being picked up and moved without real risk of bending? Also any other fabrication tips are welcome.

Thanks

Although I cannot help you with your information, that will be one interesting project. I certainly do not want to put you on the spot, but will you be posting any pictures? I would certainly be interested in seeing how you progress. Maybe one day I will do much the same and build something like you are. I only wish you success.

I would try to get a copy of the articles from the 1990's, by Gordon Odegard on scratch building, IIRC, a NYC 4-6-0. In there he gives you the brass sizes to make the loco with. I would start with this information. While I would think that the boiler material could be the same size, you may have to use a slightly larger gauge of brass for the frame, since the p-8 would be a larger loco and would need a heavier frame.

Back