Brand of switches....

Sorry for the re post guys, couldn't find my old topic on this. Well found out from my girlfriend that she got me 4 boxes of 10 pieces flex track. G,ot my track now im looking for good switches. What would you recomend?

This is the track she got me...
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/atl-16810.htm

Going to need, to start 16 left and 16 right 8 of each will go in the yard area..the rest are for though out the layout.

Well, I'm not the expert here. but I have Atlas turn-outs. They are not expensive, which is why I got them, but others will tell you there are better ones out there. They usually need a little tweeking, but I've had good luck with them. Considering how many you need, they may fit your bill. I'll let others who've had more experience impart their knowledge as to the pro's & con's of various manufacturers.

I used the Atlas Super #6 switches on my previous layout, but have moved on to handlaid turnouts. They make special jigs and such now that makes it so easy that it technically isn't handlaid any more..

You've got code 100 rail so you need code 100 switches. Are you looking at shorter, #4 switcher or do you have room for longer #6 or #8 switches? There's a selection of Atlas and Peco switches at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp. The Atlas switches are fine but I'd prefer the Peco, although they will make a bigger dent in your budget. If there's any way to avoid #4's, I'd do so. #6 switches take up more room but larger equipment and work much better for passing sidings. If you are pressed for space, #4 switches work OK in a yard or on an industrial spur because you are doing low speed movements but #6 and above switches will give you much smoother and reliable operation on anything coming from the main line

my thought was #6 for all the switches. and get them in the atlas brand i think i have enough room, my layout is 2 "4x8" sheets runing north to south and then a 4x5 and a another 4x8 sheet runing east to west my whole layout will be a "L" shape. My plan is my yard will take up the entire first 4x8 sheet. my problem is should i make the tracks all dead end or make them through tracks...any thoughts?

I have over 20 ft of yards & some of my tracks are thru & some are dead end. 95% of my switches are super Atlas #6's. The rest are Atlas #4's. I have over 40 switches on my layout & all of them are Atlas. I've been using Atlas for about 40 years. The only problems I have ever had is w/a switch not laying flat or bent rails at the frog.

Larry

Hate to be a pain in the rear end guys but here is my next question...when im making my curves what radius should they be? I plan on running mostly ac4400's SD70mac's and SD40-2's. I read some hwere the bigger the loco the bigger the curve so it doesnt derail, im thinking 22" for the curve.

Could someone put a link to my GAP page so chadmichaels can see my yards.
Thanks,
Larry

Thank You Very Much Jim for putting up my link. I can do mostly anything on my puter, but transferring a link, even when everyone on this forum has tried to help & I still haven't been able to do it. Must be my age. LOL

Larry

Yards

Chad I’m not sure if your interested or not but here’s a diagram of my lower level yards.

NYC_George

Gentlemen, thank you ALL for all your help. It has helped me out greatly. My last question for the night. Is there a guage anywhere to help me make sure I get the 22 or 25 curve? I plan on starting to lay track tomorrow after work.

There are tools you can buy but the easy way is with a yard stick. Just drill a hole in the end and run a small screw into it and the top of the layout far enough back from the edge that you biggest curve wont hang over. Leave the hole big enough that the yard stick will swing easily. Drill holes big enough for a pencil point at the 22", 24", 25" and 28" points. Now just stick you pencil in the appropriate hole and swing the yard stick through a 180 degree arc. You'll now have a perfect line to lay track on. The line should be just about at the track center. If you are using flex track, the exact diameter doesn't really matter. Just make it's the largest curve that will fit comfortably in the space you have available.

Holy crap i didnt know laying track would be so tedious..damn..any who as im looking at my yard im thinking of atlas number 6 coming off the main line into the yard at both ends..then on the line in the yard to each siding im thinking number 4's would this work?

Chad, I think track laying ranks right up there with watching grass grow. :) At any rate, having #6 switches coming off the main to start the ladder will work fine with #4's in the yard.

Back