Bottle Brush Conifers

Thanks, MLW: I usually make trees in batches, ie, 20-30. I twist the wires with the rope fibers, and trim. Then I spray them all black. You don't really have to wait till the paint drys to spray with adhesive. After sprinkling with foam, I hang them all up on a makeshift washline with cloths pins, to dry. So, it takes approx. 1/2 hr. to do 20-30 trees. I have a bunch of Super Trees on my layout, but they are very fragile. The bottle brush trees are a lot tougher. And, yes, depending on the area modeled, a layout "eats" a lot of trees.

Hi Grampys,
I have to say your trees look great. I have a few questions I was hoping you can answer for me.
First I would like to know the shaker bottles you have a remarked with “Fine Weeds” and “fine green grass”
Are those Woodland Scenics static type grasses or other stuff?
Do you use the hair spray and adhesive to hold the foam on the string?
When you twist the string in the wire is there a trick to keep the string in place when you start to twist or even a problem at all with that step?
What did you use for the trunk of the deciduous – they look like you have some type of cover over the wires.

I’m sorry about all the questions but I’m going to a train show this weekend and will be stocking up with what I need to make these trees and want to be sure I get exactly what I need. Great job and thanks for a great post.
Dave

Hi Dave: Thanks for the compliment. That would be WS fine foam, the kind that's in the smaller bags. The spray adhesive holds the best. The alligator clips are used to keep the twine in the wire without falling out, keeps tension on the wire. When you start twisting the wire, the twine stays in place, and the alligator clips can be removed. I used clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, applied with a tooth pick for the trunks. After it's cured, it can be trimmed, if necessary, with scissors, and painted with acrylic paint.
I tried some static grass, as a final layer, but it's pretty hard to see any difference.
I'm always happy to answer questions. DJ. P.S. I like your weathering site.

DJ,
Thanks for the info/answers. It will really help when I get around to the making of trees but for now I can get the supplies at the train show and save some money (I hope). Of course I have more questions now. Do you find you have to hang the trees upside down when you are done? Does it look better if you do? Also, when you are using the drill do you use it at a low speed and keep the clips on till the wire is tight on the strands of rope?

Thank you for the comments on my site. It needs a lot of work or at least it needs to be updated. I have so much to post but who has time to keep it updated and do all the modeling you want to get done.
Dave

Hi: I've been experimenting with trees, again. These are the same basic method as the conifers.

P1030275.jpg

Great looking trees. Never made trees before, gonna have to give it a try. What did you use for the trunks on these?

Paul O.

Hi Dave: I put up a "wash line" in the basement and hang the trees with clothes pins. Some are upside down and some are not. I find they take up less space that way. Depending on how high it is, remember to duck.;).
Yes, run the drill at a slow speed and remove the clips when the wire begins to twist.

Paul, I covered the wire with Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, applied with a tooth pick and painted with acrylic paint. DJ.

I got hte wire needed today. Now all I need is the rope and some more foam and I'll be ready to go. Don't hold your breath DJ as I'm not sure how long it'll take before I really get any trees made. :)
Dave

Hi Dave: The rope I used I found in our attic. I think it was used to hold one of those hanging plant baskets. Baler twine would also work. I hope that's still made. DJ.

Here's my latest deciduous tree, based on Grove Den's methods. The armature is from a length of welding cable, silicone sealant, and WS med. green foliage. DJ.

P1040283.jpg

First attempt??? WHOW Sir you've got/have a/the talent to make trees!!
very nice !
The tree looks still good on a macro picture !!!..so from a distance it MUST be like real!!
My compliments!
btw: this tree looks, a little bit, like my first "big" N scale oaks years ago!!!...
nscaleoaktreelw9.jpg

hi Allen,

All the pictures are still and can be seen in this thread..........
I think you have to wait some seconds( a minute?) the pictures are big( = much kb's) so may be it willtake some time to load??

Jos

sometimes photos will be blocked from the network you are on. I noticed I can't see photos if they load from a site like "flicker" because the site is blocked at work. They will load at home. I guess you can say my the office is a little secure or over secure.
Dave

Back