Booneville-MKT photos

That depot is just a tourist/rail fan point of interest, and the bridge is no longer in use. The UP serves the Boonville area, and in fact, now owns the bridge (at present UP wants to "drop" the bridge and scrap it out for revenue, but the local residents are putting up some stiff opposition).
I heard that the UP figures the scrap value will be approx. 8 million $$$....

Bob

Really nice pics , we had an old bridge here that the DOT wanted to scrap but there was such an uproar they ended up taking it apart and moving it !!!!

Bob, any chance you have a photo of the other side of that caboose?

Thank you. I don't know much about Katy cabooses - actually nothing - but in your first photo I saw something I hadn't noticed before: the cupola appears to be centered on the body. I'm no caboose expert, but I've only ever known ATSF to have extended vision cabooses with centered cupolas.

The other thing that's interesting is that this caboose appears to the short type, like the Athearn, Bachmann, and IHC cabooses. Nearly all the prototypes I'm interested in use the longer kind like the Atlas model, so I've long had a couple Athearn cabooses with no real use for them. The ATSF extended vision is one candidate for a conversion using that model, and it appears that this MKT caboose is another.

Again, thanks for posting it and the follow up with multiple views.

Oddly enough, there is another Katy caboose just like this one, on display just south of Liberty, MO off of Hwy. 291....

Bob

Bob, we have a bridge that looks just like that near Eutah, Alabama and across the Warrior River. It is on the mainline for Norfolk Southern from Atlanta to New Orleans. I know a fellow that is a retired operator of that bridge and I believe he said it was built in the 1920's. He also said how scary it was to be up in the control cab when a train rumbled across. I have been under it many times in my boat and it looks just plain rickity:eek: :D .

Back