BNSF Orange

robjacox

I am in the process of repainting a Tower 55 ES44DC into BNSF's current swoosh/power-bar for a friend.

I've always used Scalecoat I or II paint, I love how it sprays and covers, and has always had accurate colors.

However, myself, my son, the owner of the loco, and even my wife think the Scalecoat II BNSF is a TERRIBLE color match. It is very red & nearly flourescent.

Since I was repainting a Northern Pacific "dream scheme" loco and we didn't strip it all the way down (just removed the lettering and red pin striping) I primered with Scalecoat II White over the black & yello, giving it a very solid coat. Because of the white base, I think the orange should be a fairly true color.

It sits on my bookshelf, waiting for Scalecoat to replace the paint (I'm hoping it's from a bad batch). Since I live 150 miles from the nearest hobby shop, I have to mail order everything.

I was given a bottle of Modelflex BNSF orange, it is a better match, but I can't spray it worth a darn.

I can spray Pollyscale, but still prefer old-school Floquil or Pollyscale.

Hoping someone would have some personal experience with the various brands of BNSF Orange. If none of the brands are acceptable, a recipe would be appreciated. Again, I prefer Scalecoat II, Scalecoat I, Floquil, then Pollyscale (in that order).

This will (obviously) be a fairly new unit as modeled, but will run with Kato and Athearn factory paint BNSF units, so a failry close match to them is what we're after.

Thanks in advance,

Sounds like you got a bad batch. I've been using Scalecote II in preference to Floquild latley because it seems to cover with a smoother finish and the color matches seem more accurate. I don't do much BNSF but a lot of UP, older Santa Fe, GM&O, and Southern, all of which have some colors that are either tough to match or tough to cover without multiple coats. Scalecoat II has done a good job for me in every instance so a bad batch seems liek the most likely explanation.

Back