BNSF Dash-9 Faded H2

Would it be hard to do?

I'd have to do the new front handrails too and paint the nose under the striping green. Some dash-9 have that part green and some have it orange. Since I started painted the unit prior to deciding which exact unit I was doing, I pick the wrong color. Still I don't see it as a big deal unless I try to go exact.

Not to hard. Cut a rectangular hole in the side of the cab slightly smaller then then etching from DW, then glue in place with CA & paint.

looks great! i see you need to add the gps dome on the roof of the cab..and id recommend painting the grilles all around the radiator area with a black wash... not criticizing at all :) it looks fantastic :) just a few small tips

The DW 4-window conversion is not TOO hard, but definitely risky. I just did 2 on the 2 Kato engines I have and I think they look great. I (as Josh prescribed) cut the windows out VERY carefully so as to not cut too much! Because the detail is so fine, if you cut too much any little gap is going to be quite noticable. The directions don't specify how to put windows in, just the frames, so I had to learn by trial and error. I used some high quality clear plastic and cut it perfectly the same dimensions as the supplied frame. After it was satisfying, I test fit the glass in the side of the cab (which also had to be the EXACT same size) and made sure it sat in the side of the cab alittle further than flush to leave room for the frame. I then layered the 4 pieces of window frame OVER the newly installed glass with a very small amount of CA so I didn't mar the glass. After that, I had to custom mix some paint to match the Kato colors on the two middle posts of the frame. Lastly, I cut up some of those "roll-up" sun glasses you get from the optometrist and used it for tint. I will show some pics for anyone interested for an example! Your dash 9 BTW looks trick as well! VERY well done! The 4 window cab would be the finishing touch, but everything else you did makes it look good enough without it! Great job!

-Rich

Back