BNSF Dash 9 4 window cab mod...How hard?

wongsing

Just wondering...I am about to modify a Kato BNSF C44-9W to have the 4-side window cab just like the 4500 series dash 9's...Doesn't seem like that many people have attempted this but I know that details west (or cannon) makes the part for this. So...I have a few questions for those of you that model and more over, model the BNSF...

1. What is the actual part for this, and what does it include? Pics would be GREAT!

2. Hear lots of bad things about the Kato Dash 9 (well, the BNSF ones anyways) Aside from the cab windows being wrong on the later BNSF numbers, Kato only added the "straight" grilles below the radiator, what else is wrong?

3. I have been modeling for quite a long time so a project like this doesn't scare me, but what is the difficulty of this project? Anyone that has pics of their progress or after modification would be VERY helpful!

Again guys, thanks for any response! If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions, please let me know! Thanks!

-Richard Wongsing

I don't know if anyone makes the cab itself (Kaslo might), but perhaps maybe you can replace the entire cab?

No one makes the correct cab! There's several ways to make it, using the windows from a Kato AC4400, or the whole cab, modifying the AC unit in the cab sub-base.

Or, you can buy the Details West part. Its etched metal. I've installed a few, just cut a rectangular hole where the window will go, just a bit smaller then the etching. Use some slow setting CA, and CA Accelerator to place them.

No one makes the correct cab! There's several ways to make it, using the windows from a Kato AC4400, or the whole cab, modifying the AC unit in the cab sub-base.

Or, you can buy the Details West part. Its etched metal. I've installed a few, just cut a rectangular hole where the window will go, just a bit smaller then the etching. Use some slow setting CA, and CA Accelerator to place them.

Hey Josh, I was hoping you'd see this! Could you post some good detail shots for us of the "altered" 4-window cab? thanks!

-Richard Wongsing

Back