BNSF Dash 8-40CW #801

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Just to give a heads up, BNSF Dash 8-40CW got a big head start today in the way of decals! By Sunday I hope to start decaling the shell, and next payday order the chassis/motor/trucks set from A-line/PPW. Then it'll be down to the hard part, detailing. Uploaded is a pic of her in basic orange, and a pic of my sky blue semi trailer too...

*Calling RailroadJeep, Calling RailroadJeep...*

Question, see if you can answer it. From the pictures I've gotten of BNSF #801 online, it looks to say "Dash 8-40CW" on the frame, but in a much clearer shot of #814 it CLEARLY says "C40-8W" are all one way or does this vary some? The Microscale decal sheet comes with "Dash 8-40CW"...

Also of note, all pictures show #801 with a Red & silver AC unit, so she's getting a red & silver one...

Things like that will vary a little. As I'm sure you've heard before, just refrence some photos of the exact unit you want to model. I've noticed theres been subtle variations in the BNSF paint scheme's depending on who did the repaint, and when it was done. IIRC, saying Dash 8-40CW is a BNSF deal, whereas the C40-8W was a SF thing. So, depending on who painted it, and what decals they may have had....well, you get the picture. :D

The A/C unit thing is from when they change em out, since they use whatever A/C unit is on hand, be it orange or red & silver. Makes for some variety on the GE's...

So what are you using for the BNSF orange? I've still not decided on what I want to use when I go paint some of my stuff.

RailroadJeep said:
So what are you using for the BNSF orange? I've still not decided on what I want to use when I go paint some of my stuff.
I'm using all Model Flex paints, cause they're water based, but this does cause a problem with airbrushing, cause its watery, and dosen't spray smoothly, you have to spray thin THIN coats. It turned out fairly well on #2460 & #801. I'll stick to it for now.

Picked up the silver for the AC unit today (allready had the red), and earth & rust for weathing, and a spray can of dullcoat & primer. OOOHHH and a razor saw set for cutting & hacking!

Back