BN's big brute GE C30-7

malletman

Alcohaulic
I have always wanted a brass one as the plastic ones just done "do it" for me when it comes to BN's Powder River brute. The big GE's were not good for much else, but they could lug and drag coal out of the Powder river and did so for many thousands of miles. Seeing them on railfan trips with our model railroad club president, lugging coal at 5mph at the overpass on Crawford Hill was a sight to see and experience. As he told me, the SD40-2's dont do it any better! Then we would move down to where the pusher sets where tied on and see them make the run at the hill. Checking the out up close at Alliance NE at the shops(one could railfan up close back then if you asked nicely and behaved yourself). I will or have this painted up for the early 1990s era with the beacon, weathered and so forth. I have an Aaron Herne Prime Stratolite circuit stashed away just for this project. Mike the Aspie
DSC04957.jpg

Do you have more views, particularly the front of the cab, the biggest fail on the early Atlas C30-7s. I have a handful I want to paint up as well. A few BN and one ATSF. In 1995(ish) the BN was using a bunch of ATSF painted C30-7s on coal trains. I like numbers so one of the BN units will be 5050, as in, "you'll have a 5050 chance of making it." Some other fun numbers I have 9228 and 9255 because they are both blackjacks, add up to 21.

Thanks, Mike. The ones I have have the engineer's window even with the top of the center windshields and not stepped down like on the brass model. I think they fixed it on later runs but I guess mine are from early production.

There were variations even among the BN units themselves. Some railroads had different trucks with the brake cylinders up high, vs down low between the wheels. As building an Overland consist for coal duty takes a very deep wallet. I am going to fit the unit into my proto-freelance shortline. There are a pair of these sitting in Alliance NE, and would make "cheap" big power to drag grain hoppers to the interchange track. So my plan is to use one of those road numbers, but with some modelers license to delete the ditch lights and keep the amber beacon on the roof.(89/90 era look). I will patch out the BN lettering on the battery box and put L&ER lettering there. A friend will hopefully weather it if I do the main painting and decal work. First up, once she arrives later this week is to drill the lights out so I can light them up, plate the class lights shut and drill the hole for the beacon light, and solder on the 3 chime air horn in the correct spot. Some break in time on the rolling road before tear down for paint(if I paint it myself). I also picked up a PFM brass Amtrak F40ph cheap to tinker with. I also have a brass F unit that was going to be an ex BN unit that is unpainted right now. Mike

I have the BLI Santa Fe model. Beautiful model that looks good in a consist.
I had 2 of BLI's "Blueline" in UP. With the ATSF "pinstripe" RSD-15 pair I got as well, they were my first, with Sound, models I ran at the club, it being DC only at the time. One of the older guys at the time also referred to the GE's as "big brutes". The speakers on the C30-7's being in the fuel tank and very close to the track, eventually clogged them up with the loose ferrous dust that must have been present in the ballast or somewhere.

I did the same thing but in the late 70's and early 80's. Back when parents trusted their kids and others in general more. My parents would leave me at a hobby shop near a large mall in Indianapolis so they could shop in peace and quiet. I would run the shops train layout and stare at these beautiful shiny golden models in the glass counter display. Only once I was in my teens with a successful mowing business was I able to afford my first one. Then better jobs ment more models. I am torn whether to paint it or not. So for now it looks pretty in the display case. My PFM brass Amtrak F40ph is factory painted. I also have a Oriental Limited phase 4 EMD F3 and a Overland GP35 that are unpainted. These days, if I cannot afford it in brass, I wait till I can. Saving up for PFM Amtrak Superliners for my engine and an Overland BN caboose.

Back