Block detection for hidden staging.

Are you at all comfortable with soldering things? Check out Rob Paisley's site for all sorts of good stuff. An IR beam-blocker would probably work well in a hidden staging area - not too much ambient light to worry about. Beam-blockers are probaby better for staging since then you don't need any power on to be able to detect the train - and you won't need resistor wheelsets. Circuitron probably has a similar circuit as one of Rob's already built up, but I like building things and saving money.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CircuitIndex.html#Light

And then I think fancy - TWO sets of detectors, one where the train would be fouling the next track, and one where it's in the clear. Kind of like staging lights at a drag strip. As your train enteres a staging track, both LEDs light up. You then pull ahead until the red one drops out and then you know you are cear of the turnout.

--Randy

rrinker said:
Are you at all comfortable with soldering things? Check out Rob Paisley's site for all sorts of good stuff. An IR beam-blocker would probably work well in a hidden staging area - not too much ambient light to worry about. Beam-blockers are probaby better for staging since then you don't need any power on to be able to detect the train - and you won't need resistor wheelsets. Circuitron probably has a similar circuit as one of Rob's already built up, but I like building things and saving money.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CircuitIndex.html#Light

And then I think fancy - TWO sets of detectors, one where the train would be fouling the next track, and one where it's in the clear. Kind of like staging lights at a drag strip. As your train enteres a staging track, both LEDs light up. You then pull ahead until the red one drops out and then you know you are cear of the turnout.

--Randy

Randy, that's some good info. Just the kind of things I'm looking for, will have to spend some time over there...

BTW, welcome again to the forum!!!

Railroad Model Craftsman--Page 11--Nov. issue.
Micromark--standard model $24.95 w/long leads $29.95
check Micromark.com.
If you buy 10 or more you get a discount.

I always think in terms of photo sensors. I built one once and attatched it to a school bell. I walked out of the classroom and flicked it on. When the substitute teacher came out to call me back, she set off the bell. All the classes emptied.

Anyway, the circuits are easy. And I'm no Randy.

Back