BLI SD40-2 performance

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
As soon as I'd fitted a decoder to my Atlas Master silver series U30C I realized that my BLI SD40-2's were very poor performers so I've done something about it.
I've fitted a Lenz silver series decoder along side the QSI (actually on top) to run the motor and extra lights (ditch especially). The reason for the Lenz is I want asymmetrical DCC http://www.lenz.com/products/decoders/currentdecoders/silver.htm and their very thin.

I had to fool the QSI decoder into thinking it still had a motor to run, if it didn't it wouldn't enter neutral ( no cool air let off wasn't good) and the headlight wouldn't dim, so I wired about 100 ohm resistor across it ( it gets slightly warm)

Now it runs like clockwork even the noise it made has gone ( I posted about two years ago that they had a horrible noise in reverse)
Before I had to get it to speed step 5 before it moved and it shot off like a rabbit now it crawls along at speed step 1.

These BLI's are the first version when all the sueing was going on and they had to disable the BEMF functions. I know I could send them in for a new chip but that wouldn't get me the Asymmetrical nis or the ditch lights.

I shall post some pics when my LEDs arrive of her running.

Ken.

Ken,

Are you aware of the new upgrade chip BLI is selling thru some of the dealers which fixes many of the problems on the older units?

I understand by looking at Tony's web site that the chip is 29.98 plus shipping.

Bob.

Yeah I've seen those Bob, that still won't get me ditch lights. I also wanted the Lenz Asymmetrical DCC, auto stopping at a red signal.

Ken.

Back