BLI 4-8-4 problem. Anyone else here have same problem?

atsfmodeler

Russell
My first BLI 4-8-4 steam locomotive had a gear problem, so I sent it to BLI for repairs. A few weeks later they sent it back, and it still had same gear problem. To make matters worse, the headlight casting and bell were broken off and lying in under the foam :mad:. The hobby store replaced mine with a new one, but this one has the same gear problem. I'm not sending this one back nor replacing it again.

I know someone here locally who can repair it correctly, but am I the only one here that thinks it is NOT good to have something sent back for repairs, and have it returned in worse condition?

Has anyone here have had similar gear problems with their BLI steam locomotives? Mine is the #056 ATSF 3751. I have the impression that BLI rushed this line of locomotives into assembly, and not much emphasis was put on QC.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of problem Russell. My J class BLI is a little jerky at low speed, it's the end float movement in the motor. It makes the motor shaft move back and forth across the next drive gear. I want to try out the new upgrade decoder in it to see if the BMF makes a difference (even tho it's mechanical)

Ken.

I don't know what type of gear problem, but what I do know is the repair form by BLI said they replaced geared primary driver #3 along with both gears in gear tower on my old locomotive. I have not and will not send my new one to them. I can get it fixed here locally.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if others here have had gear problems with their BLI steamers.

Russell

What was (is) it doing? Jerking? As Ken said, some units have end play in the motors causing it to jerk at any speed variation and very noticeable at slow speed.
I sent my 2-8-2 that was jerky back to BLI and they said it arrived with the headlamp, bell, and number board broken...which was "bull" since it was in the orginal box/packing and in another box with loads of packing. They said they "adjusted" the gears, drive linkage, and changed the electronics. Well, I got news for them...it didn't help a thing. I hated going back through all the hastle so I put it off for well over a year. Now the only thing I can do is go to NWSL and try to find a descent motor that will fit. From what I have learned, I will also have to replace the gearing to match. :eek: :eek:

Have you tried the new upgraded decoder in it Rex? I just wondered if the BEMF would help.

Ken.

It may help, but not sure this would be the best way to go...you know, $$$. Did you try this with yours? None of the motors used in our hobby should have the end play. Don't know why this one does when a thrust washer or design would have taken care of it. I would bet it is just a cheap motor. This model was of the lesser line of BLI's.

When talking about jerk, I have to include every Bachmann that I have bought. For what ever the reason for it, the installation of the Tsunami and adjustment of the advanced motor settings will get it out. I love the detail and looks of a Bachmann, but for some reason I have this problem...which I haven't seen anyone else complaining about.

I've not tried it either same reason $$$$. I thought about a brass plate rubbing in the end of the shaft?

Ken.

I did try a shim as an experiment and it did help, but I had no way to secure it permanently. This was to prove that it was in-play causing the problem.:)

Back