Black Diamond Express

tompm

It is time for what the anthracite roads do best: Haul the black diamonds!

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_001a.jpg

P2K Lehigh & New England FA1

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_002a.jpg

P2K Lehigh & New England FB1

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_003a.jpg

Atlas/ARHS Lehigh & New England 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_004a.jpg

Atlas/ARHS Lehigh & New England 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_005a.jpg

Atlas/ARHS Jersey Central 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_006a.jpg

Atlas B&O 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_007a.jpg

Atlas/ARHS Jersey Central 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_008a.jpg

Atlas/ARHS Reading 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_009a.jpg

Atlas Lehigh & New England 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_010a.jpg

K&D/Athearn Lehigh & New England 2 bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_011a.jpg

Bev-Bel/Athearn Unlettered 2-bay offset hopper custom dry transfers for New York Central

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_012a.jpg

Athearn Southern C/S 2-bay hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_013a.jpg

Athearn Central RR of Pennsylvania custom painted and dry transfers 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_014a.jpg

Athearn New Haven custom painted and dry transfers 4-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_015a.jpg

Athearn Virginian rib-sided two bay hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_016a.jpg

Atlas Reading 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_017a.jpg

Atlas Lehigh & New England 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_018a.jpg

Atlas Lehigh & New England 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_019a.jpg

Athearn Lehigh Valley 4-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_020a.jpg

Athearn Lehigh & New England custom painted and dry transfers 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_021a.jpg

Athearn Central RR of Pennsylvania custom painted and dry transfers 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_022a.jpg

Atlas Jersey Central 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_023a.jpg

Atlas Reading 2-bay offset hopper

LNE_Coal_Castle_Rock_024a.jpg

Atlas Jersey Central 2-bay offset hopper

VERY VERY VERY nice!!! I love those coal hoppers and your details are wonderful! Oh man I so want a Black Diamond Express of my very own now!

Just curious, and because I'm a n00b, was it common at the time to have so many different roads on one consist?

Thanks everyone!

Just curious, and because I'm a n00b, was it common at the time to have so many different roads on one consist?

Actually there weren’t too many coal only drags. Most of the time there were other cars in the train with the coal hoppers making up 80 tom90% of the train. Most photos I have seen of coal drags or trains made up of primarily coal hoppers one road dominates but there is usually other roads intermixed. In almost every photo I have seen of coal hoppers on the LNE there is usually a P&LE hopper.

In Pennsylvania there were several roads serving the coal regions. We had the Reading, Lehigh & New England, Jersey Central, PRR, Lehigh Valley, DL&W, NYO&W, and I am sure there are others. In many cases they would occupy different shores of rivers as the river cut through the mountains. Sometimes they shared the same sides. Many towns were served by three or more roads. Also ownership of the various roads was intermingled. At one time the Reading and B&O owned controlling interest in the CNJ and the B&O owned the Reading at the same time. At one point the LV was owned in part by the PRR.

So to answer your question, yes there could be more than one road in a coal drag.

Ahh man! Tom, you have my tongue:p dragging the floor with envy. Outstanding photos of some great hoppers, dirt and all.

Back