Beware the newbie invasion!

JoeyG37

I've got to be the worst. I like the looks of this place. I've been frequenting some other train forums and they are a little intimidating(but very helpful), but not this place it seems! So I've decided to settle down here.

Now, if you all don't mind, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future. ;) I'm an 18 year old college student living with my dad, and we've always had an interest in trains. We used to set up our old Bachmann sets on the kitchen table and run those. Even had some old Tyco cars and tracks to go along. It was some awesome stuff! Now, years later, we've finally decided to "go big" and make a real layout. We've got an 8x8 square and have been learning a ton. I doubt I'd ever show it because it is probably embarassing, but well you never know. :)

I have one thing I must state. Athearn blue boxes ROCK. No, seriously. As a poor student there can be nothing better than cheap freight cars that take only a matter of minutes to assemble. The same could be said for any other kits, except for maybe those darn Proto 2000 hoppers that drove me insane, but I still got it.

Anyway, I'm attempting to model small town Nebraska, being that's where I live. With that, I'm big on the Union Pacific, which seems to be a name not too well liked around on the train forums. Anyone else a fellow modeller of the UP? I've recently added a BNSF engine, so BNSFers are welcome to respond to that as well. Well that's enough about me (I probably talk too much :D). I'm glad to be here...how are you all doing?

Hi Joey, and welcome to the forum! :) I "grew up" on Athearn BB's myself and I think there will always be a place for them, I sure hope Horizon doesn't phase them out.

Hey Joey, welcome aboard. I'm glad you've decided to build a RR! Hang out, have fun and I'm sure we'll all learn something from each other.

P2K hoppers? Per chance were those the PS2CD type covered hoppers? Nice model... after building one, I'd actually like to build another so I can get it right this time.

Jeff, go with the Time Savers if you can. They're really, uh, time savers...

Joey, I don't model the UP per se, but I model some roads that are now part of the UP, although I must admit, I'm more a BN and NS modeler. I'm also a grain train fanatic, which I'd guess is at least a blip on your modeling-interest radar since you mentioned Nebraska. Oh, and I was once a broke college student who used loads of Athearn blue boxes! Still have many of them, too. Welcome to MRF!

JoeyG37 said:
I've got to be the worst. I like the looks of this place. I've been frequenting some other train forums and they are a little intimidating(but very helpful), but not this place it seems! So I've decided to settle down here.

Now, if you all don't mind, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future. ;) I'm an 18 year old college student living with my dad, and we've always had an interest in trains. We used to set up our old Bachmann sets on the kitchen table and run those. Even had some old Tyco cars and tracks to go along. It was some awesome stuff! Now, years later, we've finally decided to "go big" and make a real layout. We've got an 8x8 square and have been learning a ton. I doubt I'd ever show it because it is probably embarassing, but well you never know. :)

I have one thing I must state. Athearn blue boxes ROCK. No, seriously. As a poor student there can be nothing better than cheap freight cars that take only a matter of minutes to assemble. The same could be said for any other kits, except for maybe those darn Proto 2000 hoppers that drove me insane, but I still got it.

Anyway, I'm attempting to model small town Nebraska, being that's where I live. With that, I'm big on the Union Pacific, which seems to be a name not too well liked around on the train forums. Anyone else a fellow modeller of the UP? I've recently added a BNSF engine, so BNSFers are welcome to respond to that as well. Well that's enough about me (I probably talk too much :D). I'm glad to be here...how are you all doing?

Welcome, welcome!
I have a Union Pacific GP-9, does that count? :)
Jarrell

JoeyG37 said:
I'm an 18 year old college student living with my dad, and we've always had an interest in trains.
WELCOME to the forums Joey!:D when i read the part i quoted from you, it gave me a big smile.:) i thought that was pretty cool. although i(40) don't live with my dad(67), we do live in the same city, and we have two layouts built in his basement. i wish you and your dad the best of luck building your layout, and hope both of you will have a blast doing it.;) :) -Dean

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, I appreciate it! Time for some comments...

grande man: Yes, that layout is amazing. I was also glad to see it all done with code 100. I have code 100 on my layout but after reading all the prototype forums I felt bad about it, but I'll keep it there for sentimental reasons...and weather it. :D

Jeff: Yep, that was the PS2 hopper. It's a short UP one with grey trucks. I like the model, just one long evening of building. I might try another one too, but for now I'll wait. :eek:

RCH: More than a blip! I'm actually planning a grain train myself. I built a Walthers grain elevator and have the shed on a siding. Plan to raise it up a bit so the trains can pass on through. I have 3 hoppers so far, hope to have maybe 10 or so. Also starting on a coal train using BN coal cars. Sounds weird doesn't it? I live by Bailey Yards so I see everything, so I use that as an excuse to have anything on my layout (though I only use what I see!). :D Just last week I saw a UP train pulling a Conrail, Norfolk Southern, and a CSX engine to the east. I was quite surprised.

lginc: We definitely have been! My father builds track for the UP, so naturally he took over the track job. I'm amazed by how technical things get.

Hi Joey and welcome!
I believe you will find this forum much more friendly and relaxed than some. Here, you don't have to worry about someone jumping down your throat just because of an 'oops'. Although not a big forum, I have found it to be loaded with a lot of talented and helpful members. If you have a question...post it. If you have twenty questions...post it.:) and I would bet that you have plenty of ideas and methods to add.

Well i can chip in and say UP is 2nd string , but a major player on my future layout, being cajon pass and all... Good luck, i understand the pood student thing, although i'm not and prolly will never be a student. I have little or no cash to spare most of the time, bills, cars... yeah, dang the military's pay... Soon, Jan 1st raise! and a few mor emonths and i can move on, and REALLY start building layout sections!

UP. Hmmm....
I think I liked it best around 1980 or earlier. Lots of interesting old power all over the place.

I started out with a Bachman trainset, then graduated to a Life-Like set before discovering mail order Tyco. Nothing else was to be had in my area. When I first learned to drive, I discovered what is now my LHS (local hobby shop), about 1 1/2 hours away. Blue box Athearns galore, at the time, plus every Athearn part you could think of. Those were also the days of being single.
As the saying goes, "When you are single, your pockets will jingle..." Wish I had money these days. Going on being married 9 years here in a few weeks. At least my kid likes trains. We are just starting with her. A 4x8 layout is in the works.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back