Best Vacation Coming Up

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Well in about two weeks I probably have to have the best vacation every. Our entire trip will be in Colorado, and I will get to be on two railroads.

The first railroad will be the Durango & Silverton Railroad. I am looking forward to this ride as I have wanted to ride it for a while.

But the best is the next part. The Royal Gorge Route Railroad, and Ex-Rio Grande Line. Not only will I get to ride it, but I'll be up in the cab:D :D I am pretty sure the railroad uses F7 Locomotives. I will try to get/post as many pics of this as possible!
What do you think?
Chris

That's good news Chris. I saw some of these excursion roads on RFD and it sure got me licking my chops. Some day, I hope the wife and I can take the ride.

Well in about two weeks I probably have to have the best vacation every. Our entire trip will be in Colorado, and I will get to be on two railroads.

The first railroad will be the Durango & Silverton Railroad. I am looking forward to this ride as I have wanted to ride it for a while.

But the best is the next part. The Royal Gorge Route Railroad, and Ex-Rio Grande Line. Not only will I get to ride it, but I'll be up in the cab:D :D I am pretty sure the railroad uses F7 Locomotives. I will try to get/post as many pics of this as possible!
What do you think?
Chris

AWESOME!!! I know you'll have a blast. One of these days, we're going to do the same. As a side note, I've heard the ride from Denver to Grande Junction on Amtrak is pretty fantastic. Maybe ya'll can work that in too...;)

AWESOME!!! I know you'll have a blast. One of these days, we're going to do the same. As a side note, I've heard the ride from Denver to Grande Junction on Amtrak is pretty fantastic. Maybe ya'll can work that in too...;)

I went on the Royal Gorge train back in 2004. It was fantastic! They did have an F-unit leading the train. I think it was an ex- C&NW unit repainted to resemble the old D&RGW scheme. I forget whether it was an F7 or F9. There was also a helper locomotive behind it - not a B unit, but a GP7 or GP9 (I forget which) in D&RGW black with orange lettering.

I imagine the Amtrak trip from Denver to Grand Junction is pretty spectacular, seeing as how it would go through Moffat Tunnel and Glenwood Canyon. Or, you could just take the Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park, which is just on the west side of the Moffat Tunnel. Here's a link, in case you're interested and have the time to spare:

http://www.skitrain.com/

Hey Dan, I have a question for you. At the end of the line do they run the train around or what? If you recall.
Thanks for the responses, I am excited to get up in that cab.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Back