Best Ultrasonic cleaner for brass locos

Joseph Z

Does anyone have any concerns with the Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner. Or do you have a favorite reasonably priced and larger unit to hold articulated engines HO SCALE?

Does anyone have any concerns with the Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner. Or do you have a favorite reasonably priced and larger unit to hold articulated engines HO SCALE?
I bought a 2.5 liter Harbor Freight unit about a year ago and used it a few times over the winter. I did a little bit of cleaning and a little bit of paint stripping with it, mainly on some smaller 3-rail postwar O-gauge freight cars and steam loco parts. Also a few small car parts and even a piece or two of my wife's jewelry. No concerns really, it worked pretty good for what I did with it.

Of course, you're limited by the size of the tank. Maximum length in mine is 9-1/2" long. Probably not long enough for an HO articulated steamer. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with any other ultrasonic cleaner, so I can't be any help there.

I have a L&R ultrasonic cleaner I used to use back when I was going to the shooting range weekly.

I have thought about seeing if I can rejuvenate used wheelsets and trucks.

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your reply. I’m trying to gather as much info on reliability and price, most comments from users on Amazon and other sites state that they are mostly Chinese junk.
Bought too much of that type of junk and either got scammed or it was mostly junk.
Thanks again!

Yeah, good ultrasonic cleaners are expensive. I think I paid about $400 for my L&R like 15-20 years ago, and that was their least expensive option at the time.

they still can be expensive, but the china made ones, while some may be slower, still clean well...if you intend to strip the clear off the brass, go for one with a stainless steel tank, and remove all the plastic bits first before you dip it in lacquer thinner ..
otherwise just dilute mr clean or something similar, and don't forget to relube afterwards

Thank you, that’s one of my first requirements a long tank, the engine I’m currently working on is 11 5/8” long without the tender. I think I have a longer one stashed in my stock, not too sure though.
A owner of a hobby shop where I bought a lot of brass says he puts the thinner in the largest pickle jar he can find. Throws away the pickles if they’re not too good, then inverts the jar, cleans the engine and then turns the jar over and cleans the opposite end. I think a longer tank would be better though. Anyone try that trick?
Thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions and comments.
Joe

Try asking at a local restaurant to see if they have any larger pickle jars. Some of them still get the big glass jars. Or if you have a restaurant supply store nearby, see if they have any jars.

Back