Best turnouts for switching layout

Rabοliοt

Old Bandit
Hello,
I recently bought a very nice Bachmann GP40 and I'm very happy with my purchase.
Unfortunately, it can't run on my last switching layout because all the turnouts are too small, too tight or too short.
I want to do switching operations with my new loco. I need new turnouts. What's the best choice: #5 or #6 ?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
That's all I know about these turnouts:
Peco HO SL96 Code 100 (Insulfrog)
- Nickel Silver Rail
- Nominal Radius: 914mm (36")
- Angle: 12 degrees
- Length: 219mm (8-5/8")

PECO SL-96.jpg

Your diesel and cars will do very well with non-sectional track (snap track) #5 and above. If you have a lot of Code 100, stick with that for ease of use. Later on, you'll learn how to make different codes play nice together, but you can teach yourself how to do that on a diorama or something if you later turn to photography of your train models and dioramas.

Atlas Customline, Peco Streamline, Micro Engineering ladder system, Walthers' line of track and turnouts....it's pretty hard to go wrong with them.

Saw this thread and decided to continue instead of starting a new one…
NMRA standards suggest using #8s on mainline, #6s for yards, try to restrict the use of #4s except where space is limited. Do you guys find this to be the best practice?
I have no #8s in my arsenal, with what I have pictured in my head gonna be an expensive build, looks like a lot of overtime 🙄

Back