Best parts storage unit for model RR stuff

Raincoat2

I couldn't see any more correct place to post this question: so far, I have been keeping spare/leftover parts from structure kits, freight car trucks, wheels, etc., in boxes. I need to get them organized better. I know Lowes/Home Depot/Menards/ Hobby Lobby/ Walmart all sell parts storage bins. I'm looking for something that can go on top of my modeling workbench. What would you recommend? Anything you've found that really works well for all sizes of pieces of stuff? Thanks.

You can use small boxes to hold doors, windows and misc parts. I have a 18 compartment clear plastic container that I use to store various types of couplers, wheel sets and screws.

Greg

You can use small boxes to hold doors, windows and misc parts. I have a 18 compartment clear plastic container that I use to store various types of couplers, wheel sets and screws.

Greg
Greg - I have seen all kinds of clear plastic containers at all kinds of stores. Which one do you use - where did you buy it - are all the drawers/bins pretty large?

I have an open bin small parts rack that I use for track ties (taken off of flex) and Just bought a bigger 3-drawer bin on wheels to put cars and other larger items in for under the train table (one for me and another for the grandson). I also use a couple of small parts bin organizers. I have way too much accumulation of track stuff at this point, but I'm fortunate also to have some 15" upper kitchen cabinets in my train area.

I got a couple from when my parents downsized and another I bought from one of the larger home stores. The 3 drawer bins I got from a large department chain (...OK Walmart).

I couldn't see any more correct place to post this question: so far, I have been keeping spare/leftover parts from structure kits, freight car trucks, wheels, etc., in boxes. I need to get them organized better. I know Lowes/Home Depot/Menards/ Hobby Lobby/ Walmart all sell parts storage bins. I'm looking for something that can go on top of my modeling workbench. What would you recommend? Anything you've found that really works well for all sizes of pieces of stuff? Thanks.
I will be employing an old Kennedy 6 drawer tool chest for assorted bull....er stuff.

I have a number of cabinets with small to medium drawers that I purchased over the years from Home Depot. For the extra wall pieces that seem to come from Walther's kits lately, I use a shoebox. Windows, doors, chimneys etc, go into individual drawers in the cabinets. I'll get some pictures in the morning.

I got a wall mount cabinet from Aldi that had lots of small drawers (all plastic construction). Unfortunately, as is their practice, they don't stock them all the time. I stick a strip of masking tape across the drawer fronts and write the contents in marker pen on each.

I have several of these I use for a variety of things from Christmas bulbs, hardware to train parts and anything in between.
The compartments are adjustable to accomidate most anything small enough to fit in the organizer. For $11.97 for a 2 pack they are hard to beat in my book.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-...ts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485
1564659590246.png

More good ideas. Thanks, guys. We have HD, Lowes, Aldi, Menards, WallyWorld, Target, you name it. I looked in Menards last night but they didn't have what I want. I'll be going to HD tonight for some wood for a project I'm working on inmy woodworking shop, and I'll see what they have there.I looked in

Greg

I think I purshased the plastic compartment box at The Container Store or Michael's. The individual compartments fit the Kadee couples, wheel sets and other small items and are not too large.
Greg

Hi Johnny,

I have tried numerous things but my wife picked out the best thing. They are similar to Louis but about 6" high and maybe 16 wide x 24 long with clear sides. The plastic cover makes them stackable. Seems to fit a lot of my stuff standing up and smaller things I have grouped into small baggies.

The glory of this is I can see everything looking down and pull out the baggie or item easily. I used to have a bunch of smaller drawers but some were nearly empty and others overflowing so didn't work for me.

For instance, all coupler parts are in a baggie. Small screws are in a small plastic box. Small paint cans can sit upright in there. Odd ball sized things also can be thrown in there and easily seen and worked around. A separate baggie contains ladders and stirrups and other related doo dads. A baggie also has the small screwdrivers and tweezers that are not used every day.

I have a separate one with scenery supplies. Again, it accommodates different sized items and all can easily be seen because of the shallow nature of the container. In there is a selection of ballast and the numerous ground cover products, along with the spoon, sieve, and misc devices. Some of my roofing materials sit on top flat and are easily removed to get to the other stuff without too much bother.

Anyway, gives you more to think about, Dave

Dave (and everyone) - I had been thinking almost exclusively of a cabinet-type of item, like Willie and Toot mention. But your and Louis's idea of separate containers is something to consider - especially if I can find ones that are big enough for some of the larger left-over stuff. I'll let everyone know - I hope to find whatever it is I want this weekend.

This is what I am using, I also have considerably larger ones for buildings and stuff. They are stacked and can hold a lot of stuff.

IMG-0460.JPG

IMG-0462.JPG

IMG-0461.JPG

IMG-0463.JPG

The think I like about these shorter ones is you don't have to dig through, you can easily see the contents.

Dave

OK, got those pictures ready. I have a couple of these that I got from Home Depot. These are older and came with drawer dividers. I purchased another one about two years ago, but it came without dividers, they provide an address to send them money for the dividers. I just used one of the ones that I already had as a pattern and cut my own out of styrene.
08-02-19 001.001.JPG

I use these for smaller items. I originally started with keeping small detail parts in one, and track type stuff and tools (solder, flux) in the other, but have since diverged a bit.
I also have one with only larger drawers.
08-02-19 002.001.JPG

For scenery supplies like ballast and ground foam, I use this one that my daughter purchased from The Container Store.
08-02-19 003.001.JPG

My daughter (love her) also gave me some different ones from the same store that I use for bulky items, and other stuff, spare pencils, razor blades, etc.
08-02-19 004.001.JPG

As I posted earlier, I use old shoe boxes for spare walls and stuff that doesn't fit in another drawer somewhere. I try to remove as much as possible from sprues for better organization.
I also use some of those boxes that Dave just posted for various modular wall components from DPM.
I have clear topped boxes similar to the ones that Louis posted that I got from Hobby Lobby, that I use for my painted figures, but that picture was too blurred. Labeling the drawers helps considerably, but as you can see I am not too consistent.

Willie: Way too neat...just kidding. Very organized and should reduce the time you search for tools and parts. I have the same storage cabinet on roller and it lives under part of the layout.

Dave:
Great storage system as well.

I had a label printer that I didn't use for years and now I labeled each of the compartments on the work desk storage units.

Greg

Everyone - Willie's system was what I had been thinking of all along. It's what I (and probably every guy in America) have in my wood working shop. For the trains, I'm organized, but not THAT organized :D
I ended up with something more like Dave's suggestion - several bins from WallyWorld, different sizes for the various small things. I also have large bins, a la Willie's last picture, for larger stuff.
So I'm set for now. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get more stuff and see the need for more organization, I would go with something more like Willie's system. I do have a rolling plastic cart for scenery materials, ballast, grass, trees, etc, and I roll that around to wherever I'm working on the layout, and I have a storage rack in one room with those large bins full of stuff. I just wanted to organize my modeling workbench better.

Back