"Best" Looking Unit, Steam

mtrpls said:
4-6-4 Hudson, ala 20th Century Limited. Nothing comes close.
Didn't those have four very distinctive "looks" though. The non-streamlined, the roundy bullet one, the one with a "fin" down the nose, and the one with the squarish cylinder cover.... Or am I not thinking about the right set of locomotives?

But you might have just solidified my choice. I've been trying to decide between several 4-8-4 and 4-6-4s but this remined me of the AT&SF class 3460. Hmmmmm.

I prefer the non-streamlined. Has a powerful work-horse look, yet still manages to be elegant. Mmmmm....

For me, its gotta be the ATSF's 4-8-4. Man, it just says power, speed, and good old gritty muscle. No streamlining. Who needs streamlining? This machine just shoves the air out of the way with sheer power! Yeah. Gotta love it!

Most any USRA or earlier Mike. This one, built in 1917, is my absolute favorite loco.

Mikado01a.jpg

With a handle like U-3-b what else would I choose. Actually I do like USRA light pacfics a lot too but I am going to have to stay with the small GTW 4-8-4. Lets just hope Ohio Central keeps her.

Steve

Mines a tie between a CGW K-5 Pacific and a
dl191.jpg

CGW E-7 Ten Wheeler
bl565.jpg

But, the Milwaukee Road S-3 4-8-4s sure looked good.

CJ's former 0-6-0

Cjcrescent said:
SawweeeT!:D Never should have given her up!

Well, she went to a good home:D I only repainted the boiler, the running gear is your original paint. I still have the slope back tender, but I always liked the sausage tender, and I found that one on e-bay. She's re-motored & decodered. No sound:) No room! I only have three sound equipped lokeys. The GS-4, and one each an Alco and a GE Dis-easel.

ATSFRailfan said:
For me, its gotta be the ATSF's 4-8-4. Man, it just says power, speed, and good old gritty muscle.
Which class are you speaking of that covers several very different locomotives? I've always liked the 2900s. It's too bad they were all taken out of service long before their natural life was over.

dingoix said:
Mines a tie between a CGW K-5 Pacific and a CGW E-7 Ten Wheeler. But, the Milwaukee Road S-3 4-8-4s sure looked good.
Something nice about those smaller locomotives. I think these two look better than most because they have the headlight in the center of the boiler rather than up on top.

GandyDancer said:
Which class are you speaking of that covers several very different locomotives? I've always liked the 2900s. It's too bad they were all taken out of service long before their natural life was over.
The 2900's were amazing too, but they had issues if I remeber right...

Back